Main Menu

USPS

Started by thorhammer, December 27, 2020, 12:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Lots of grumbling & moaning goin' on about USPS but all I can say is I haven't seen any delays or times out of the ordinary. Case in point, I ordered some guitar parts from a dealer in Canada on Dec 31, New Years Eve Day. They arrived at my door on Jan 11 (note there was New Years Day and two weekends within that 12 days). Not too shabby, especially for the time of year, I would say.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Yeah, been watching my girlish figure for the last 18 months — lost 43 pounds — and In-N-Out Burger is our go-to place maybe once every couple of months, nowadays.

And it is always "Animal Style" for me.

Grilled onions, twice greens — MMMM, MMMM, Good!

Used to be free if you asked for it — now they charge a little extra — but it is worth it.

I do have them cut back on the sauce — too much makes the burger soggy, at least to me.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

dang Fred. to lose that, I'd have to cut off a laig.....

Jim Fujitani

It appears that the issues with USPS vary depending on the location, and how many states/distance the parcel/letter has to traverse before it gets delivered. 

I had a conversation with my next door neighbor (the wife half) yesterday.  Her twin sister living in Virginia received a Christmas card that was mailed from Florida on December 9th.  It took over a month!  The brother-in-law mailed a small package of Jerky several states away.  It took six months before delivery, last summer into fall!

I rarely use priority USPS shipping boxes when I know the shipping stays within our state.  I just ship USPS in cardboard boxes.  t is cheaper and usually takes a day or two more at most.

falconer

Like Fred Oakes and others have noted, here at Pineo Outdoors LLC we've had generally good results with USPS Priority mail service, up until last early summer, when the widely reported sabotaging of the Postal Service began under Louis DeJoy. Out of nowhere starting about June, some of our shipments started arriving days or weeks delayed. We sent some polyester webbing to one of our vendors in Boise, Idaho. It went from Spokane  to Boise, then on to a city in Pennsylvania, then to another city in Pennsy, then was finally delivered to the correct address in Boise 2 weeks later. We sent a hunting vest to a customer in Boise, which went to Boise, then Denver, then Salt Lake City, then back to its proper delivery address in Boise. We have had shipments to the east coast take a couple weeks to arrive at customers' addresses. All of these were sent by Priorty, which should only take 3-4 days max from Spokane to say, someone in Florida. International Priority orders have sometimes taken over 2 months to make it to the delivery address.

The USPS has indeed been overwhelmed. Mail volume has shot up after years of decline, and as someone noted, they can't turn down a shipment, unlike UPS and FEDEX. Staffing has been hammered by COVID 19. I don't blame USPS, but rather the pandemic and systematic efforts to undermine and sabotage OUR postal service, founded at Benjamin Franklin's urging, as a national service to help unite the country. There's no excuse for removal and destruction of mail sorting machines across the country. For thousands of small businesses like ours, USPS has historically been the best shipping value proposition for us and our customers.

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: falconer on January 16, 2021, 08:27:44 PM
Like Fred Oakes and others have noted, here at Pineo Outdoors LLC we've had generally good results with USPS Priority mail service, up until last early summer, when the widely reported sabotaging of the Postal Service began under Louis DeJoy.

The USPS has indeed been overwhelmed. Mail volume has shot up after years of decline, and as someone noted, they can't turn down a shipment, unlike UPS and FEDEX. Staffing has been hammered by COVID 19. I don't blame USPS, but rather the pandemic and systematic efforts to undermine and sabotage OUR postal service, founded at Benjamin Franklin's urging, as a national service to help unite the country. There's no excuse for removal and destruction of mail sorting machines across the country. For thousands of small businesses like ours, USPS has historically been the best shipping value proposition for us and our customers.

Hey Doug, how's it going?  Long time since we fished together (and it may be longer still, I can't make this year's 10 day). 
I hope you are in good health and staying safe.

Jim (the Sarge)

handi2

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 28, 2020, 08:58:22 PMThey have been good to me this year. Ordered this the 16th. Came on the 21st. ;D

Nice Daron. !

I have a stock Colt M16 with extra magazines
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Quote from: thorhammer on January 15, 2021, 11:43:50 PMBoth of you gents are princes among men. I don't get out to the left coast much these days but you know I go animal style when I do....

I'll have to remember that one. "princes among men" lol ;D
You Have a Colt AR-15 Keith. If it was a true M-16. It would have a 3 round burst and full auto selector switch.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Where you been hiding, my brother?

kevin cozens

here in the UK you have 2 options for normal post. first class and second class.
lately the prices have skyrocketed and the quality of service has dropped.The difference in price is a huge 50p between the 2 classes. international is £2.20 worldwide.
To add insult to injury, in a lot of cases a second class letter will arrive just as quick as 1st class.
As for USPS the international prices are a nightmare. it can cost upto £15 or more to send a small letter containing an item such as a drag washer or small spring. where do they get their prices. 

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: kevin cozens on October 02, 2023, 11:32:29 AMhere in the UK you have 2 options for normal post. first class and second class.
lately the prices have skyrocketed and the quality of service has dropped.The difference in price is a huge 50p between the 2 classes. international is £2.20 worldwide.
To add insult to injury, in a lot of cases a second class letter will arrive just as quick as 1st class.
As for USPS the international prices are a nightmare. it can cost upto £15 or more to send a small letter containing an item such as a drag washer or small spring. where do they get their prices. 
A medium flat rate box within the US is $15 USD. I just sent one to Australia for a cool $85 USD. And it's been 2.5 weeks so far.

Beginning of the year i ordered custom parts for my abu from a seller in England. It took 3 months to arrive. Not the sellers fault, but holy crap.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

I am careful to be thankful for the Postal Service —-

Yes, there are weird delays and occasional issues —- but pretty good overall.

Sending a parcel from up here in the remote Sierra Nevada Mountains of California —- to say, San Mateo, CA —- if mailed before 3:30 —- will often be at the recipients door the next day.

Sent a package from here to Valrico, Florida —- last week —- took 1.5 days to land at recipients front door.

For some reason, almost anything I am receiving from the NE quadrant of the country —- bounces around about 3-5 distribution centers before it ever starts making its way out West.

All in all, though —- without the USPS —- and the internet —- none of us could do the tackle hobby that we love —- as quickly and effectively.

Postage cost is just the tariff we pay to get what we want —- whether it is a reel, toaster, or dog food.

So, no complaints here.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Not to be Tommy Downer but the rate hikes of the last 3 or 4 years have practically put an end to the lower tier of reel and tackle collecting. I used to buy around 20 reels a month but since shipping took such steep increases I've practically quit buying all together. I'll bet I haven't purchased 20 reels in the last 5 years. Shipping prices in comparison to item prices are the first things I look at nowadays and I know a lot of guys, and collectors, that take the same position as I do. I'm  pretty sure that's why so many reels just sit on the 'Bay day after day & week after week with no takers. It's really a shame because it was a fun hobby for such a long time.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

I have in the past had some negative things to say about USPS. And frankly those things weren't untrue. But I've come to realize that a flawed but affordable public option beats the pants off a more expensive private option that quite frankly is still quite flawed.

And that story about the part from England, well it got lost on the far side of the pond. Once it got over here I had it in a few days.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

It's funny, this post should come up!
This is why, you can't buy one piece fishing rods anymore either!
Unless, you want to pay, at the very minimum $100, on up to $200!
If I want a rod, that is truly 8 foot long, not 7'10", like they make them now, because of these new, rules and rates!
It's 100 bucks for tackle direct to send me a 8' rod and I live 5 miles from there!
And yes, I do drive there, just stating the facts lol!

I was actually thinking about starting a transporting business, 4-5 years ago!
But then, the country took a plunge, and inflation went through the roof with gas prices!