TOOLS for own repairs

Started by aussiefisher, December 29, 2020, 07:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussiefisher

I may be entering into a field that I am not qualified to do.
However, nothing ventured nothing gained.

What tools should I have to pull apart Okuma, Daiwa, Shimano, Abu Garcia & PENN in overhead, spinning & baitcaster configurations.

I am not so interested in major repairs only if it is of a minor nature, but it would be of more than just an inspection clean.
Eg.  Checking & or replace bearingings/drags.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Recreational fishing is the pursuit of happiness sharing nature & camaraderie with friends.

Gfish

Welcome aussiefisher!
Yup. The Alvey; "no bearings, no gears, no problems". I have a 650 C5 Surf Champion. I got it from "Donnyboat", Don walton on this site(from "sunny Western Austraila).

Just to start out the tools thing: A set of screwdriver blades, about 4 sizes flat(hollow ground best), 4 diffrent sizes of phillips, a full set of torex, 2 sets (metric & SAE) hex keys(Allen Wrench) And a set of jewelers screwdrivers.
There's more, but interested to see what others say...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cor

I use the most basic of tools, simply because I only service and repair a fairly small range of reels.

1 small flat screwdriver
2 small Philips screwdrivers
Wrench to remove Handle nut.
Tool made from Vice Grip to remove Spool pins (Alan Tani style)
Couple of picks made from 1.6 mm stainless wire to to hook or pull out bearings or get hold of springs
Tweezers, very useful for numerous applications.

I do have a fairly wide range of other tools available should I need something else.....Like a big hammer ;D ;D ;D used to remove small irritating bits that won't budge
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

To add to previous comments add a set of JIS screwdrivers - many asian reels have JIS screws even if they look like phillips. JIS drivers will work on phillips screws - but most phillips drivers will chew-up a JIS screw.

MarkT

A Phillips driver will chew up a Phillips screw!  Really, the JIS drivers are best for any screw that they'll fit... JIS, Phillips or Pozidriv.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

philaroman

I think some older/cheaper sets/kits threw in a couple JIS bits
& called 'em something fancy (cutting?)...  allegedly for part-stripped Phillips heads

nelz

Can't tell you the number of times this dental pick has saved the day when it comes to manipulating tiny springs & parts. Also will open the spring clips on larger bearings.

Gfish

Ok. I thought I could just name off the screw-head tools I use. Then maybe others could add to this a few important things I left out, then perhaps list other common tool types(for example the diffrent types of pliers commonly employed). It seems to have worked somewhat...

How about specialty tools? Here's 2 for Penn conventionals and one from Abu(for the Zebco Cardinal reels) the smaller penn wrench comes with the reel NIB, the bigger one comes from Allen Tani(to me from Todd "Hardyboy") and the Abu wrench is for the line-roller nut and the rotor nut(also comes with a new in box reel).

Edit: The wrenches in the picture actually came with used reels, in good condition. The best "in box reels" should have paperwork, maybe lube, a tool, a rod clamp(conventionals) and maybe spare parts. An Abu Amb. 5000 I got, even had spare brake weights in diffrent sizes.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

I'm old and would never open a reel without a magnifying glass or Opti-visor and supplemental lighting.  You also need open containers or someplace safe to put parts during disassembly.  Then, you need cleaning tools and cleaning fluids - a whole other topic.  Then you need new lubricants to replace the old lubricants that you just cleaned away - another topic that has been severely beaten around here.

-steve

steelfish

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 29, 2020, 11:22:38 AM
To add to previous comments add a set of JIS screwdrivers - many asian reels have JIS screws even if they look like phillips. JIS drivers will work on phillips screws - but most phillips drivers will chew-up a JIS screw.

HMM.. I need to look for those JIS screwdrivers

The Baja Guy

philaroman

any decent driver bit set should have at least 2 or 3 common sizes

SteveL

2 Gallon size zip bags to catch the little springy parts that fly off to oblivion.

In addition to the typical toothbrush for cleaning and greasing, I use Gum Proxabrushes (from the dental aisle) in medium and large to clean and lube small spaces like screw holes, and disposable mascara wands (Sally beauty or Amazon) to clean and lube larger holes like pinion gears and gear sleeves.

For spool pin removers (low profile baitcasters),  I use Boca Bearing's Spool pin pliers and the Bass Zone pin remover from Ebay.   

1/16" pin punch for Penn gear sleeves.

I have bearing pullers on the way from BearingBadTool.  Though I haven't tried them, they seem like a steal for the price (about $30) compared to other options.

Digital calipers for measuring stuff.

RowdyW

I use Q tips for ID's of gear sleeves & pinions etc. for cleaning & lubeing.   Rudy

Gobi King

punch, find a decent set one, in a pinch I have tried to use paper clips and my fingers demanded I get a proper punch set.

disposable gloves,
small flame thinggy
needle lub bottles for TSI/Alcohol mix
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

SteveL

Quote from: RowdyW on December 30, 2020, 01:55:57 PM
I use Q tips for ID's of gear sleeves & pinions etc. for cleaning & lubeing.   Rudy

I have used Q-tips, but I found small cotton fibers come off sometimes.  No issues so far with the little Gum brushes or mascara brushes.   When I get an Abu reel with a really gummed up IAR, sometimes with salt and or sand, I clean it with mineral spirits or kerosene and alternate gently using Gum proxabrushes and Zetek foam swabs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVRJXTA) until clean.  The foam swabs in the cosmetic aisle tend to fall apart but the ones above hold up well.

I like the gray and red ones on the bottom.