Inspired by Sal

Started by Maxed Out, December 31, 2020, 11:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Sal got me hooked a few years back(imagine that) and it is he who has always been my main inspiration for custom parts and builds. All future builds will continue to be driven by the inspiration he embedded in me. Sal did build a couple of these. A part of him is alive and well in my reel obsession and love for fishing

Please feel free post your Sal inspired builds here. We'd love to see them !

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

Wow, Ted!
Sal has clearly inspired you to fill your china hutch with "reel candy."
Great selection and as you  said, Thanks, much in part, to our pal, Sal.
Thanks
Dom

milne

Wow Ted,  Stunning reels right there......
My build advice from Sal, was simple restoring info on my vintage reels....
That's a whole new level there..........
Thanks for sharing

Col

Gfish

The first thing I did using the knowledge on this site, was to finally take that big flat brass thing out of my mid-80's Senator 6/0, that I'd been afraid to remove before, when servicing it(the bridge plate), using Allen's tuorial. This emboldened me to use Sal's double dog tutorial for the same reel and I got 'er done on the first try! I remember being so proud, my wife picked-up on my mood and acted like she was really happy for me. "A Double what"?
Also, Sal was one of the first one's on the site to offer me a part I needed, even though I didn't ask for it. He had that way of reaching out that made you feel welcome.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

Sal built a "heavy duty" 49 that really tripped my trigger....349 bridge, larger gear sleeve, double dogs,the works......inspired me to create my own ! Thanks, Sal !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

jurelometer

This 500 sits on the coffee table in the family room.  The handle is a gift made by Sal.   I think about Sal every time I see it.   Folks that know nothing about reels are drawn to it.

It has the powder coated red rings inspired by Sal's Tank,  some stainless goodies,  and the under-gear Delrin thrust washer (which I think  was one of Sal's best ideas).

-J

mhc

Sal inspired most of the Penn modifications I've done over the years but one that stands out is the "Almost stainless 99 jigmaster". Sal's ongoing quest for a fully stainless Penn reel was behind a lot of the stainless Penn parts that were developed by members here - including Chris (Rothmar2) who was inspired to make a few stainless frames and rings among other things. I was lucky enough to receive a couple of sets of SS jigmaster rings as well as quick release side plate locking screws and clickers from Chris that helped me put together this almost stainless 99. From memory, the only metal parts that are not stainless are the chromed eccentric cam, handle screw and spool bushings.

and together with a similar 501

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

broadway

Mike,
   I remember Sal's passion for the all stainless Jiggy.  We all love following your creations and builds as we do Chris'.   Sal was tuned in on those big time, as he would communicate with me on how creative and talented the Ohana was during those specific builds.  He truly loved when someone was able to teach him or show him what was possible with a reel. As a true Italian,  he liked a little glitz (his jeweling of internal parts back in the day), but was much more about the functionality of a reel and pushing it to its' greatest potential.  He sent me a pic a long while ago that was a 1/5 full of broken parts that he had tested. 
Love the new memoriam pic as that's how I picture Sal in his glory.
He was one cool cat.
Best,
Dom

Rothmar2

For me, it was Sal's double dogging modification that inspired the first reel I did a major project on, The Narrowed 6/0.

From there, it spilled over to the Jigmasters. There were a few other projects that I did, that I never would have even contemplated without Sal's lead.
While reel projects have taken a back-seat for various reasons, every time I do pick-up a file, or place something into a lathe to make a custom piece, I do think of Sal.

steelfish

I this handle will be always on the T4ni 113hnn reel,  the handle was a gift from Sal.
The Baja Guy

broadway

Sal sure was great at handle making, and so many other things.
She's a beauty, Alex. Treasure her ;)
Stay well
Dom

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

steelfish

Quote from: broadway on February 04, 2021, 05:40:53 PM
Sal sure was great at handle making, amounts so many things.
Stay well
Dom

thanks Dom

you can bet I will treasure her, I bought one knob to Sal and when he asked me my address he also asked me what other reels I normally use when going fishing, on my package it came my choice of handle knob and this unique handle knob assembly with the note that it was for my T4n1 113hxn reel, so it belongs there.

stay safe you too compadre

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on February 05, 2021, 08:55:41 PM
Quote from: broadway on February 04, 2021, 05:40:53 PM
Sal sure was great at handle making, amounts so many things.
Stay well
Dom

thanks Dom

you can bet I will treasure her, I bought one knob to Sal and when he asked me my address he also asked me what other reels I normally use when going fishing, on my package it came my choice of handle knob and this unique handle knob assembly with the note that it was for my T4n1 113hxn reel, so it belongs there and I have used the reel with that handle few times already.

stay safe you too compadre

The Baja Guy

mo65

It was Sal's love of the Surfmaster that led me to build this Surfy 250 narrowed to the 501 Jigmaster size. It sports a Tib frame, 501 aluminum spool, steel gears, Bryan's 5-stack kit, double AR dogs, a LB 66 drag star, and a bitchin' #24-12LT handle. This reel is a joy for catfishing...I call it the Flathead Special. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~