Cleaning Solvents

Started by steelheadtom, January 02, 2021, 12:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quabbin boy 62

about all i've ever needed are wd-40 and a toothbrush, then wipe the external parts off with alcohol, then penn reel oil and blue grease on the internals. my reels come apart for cleaning and lube once a year, so this works well for me. i think most of you guys are using conventionals in salt water, though. my only salt water reels are a 704z and a 706z.

Brewcrafter

Steve I think your description of polar vs. non polar was really good and pretty spot on, especially bringing polarity of soap into the equation (and then we get into those other words like hydrophobic or hydrophyllic).  The other thing with a lot of chemical solvents that can make them tricky - VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds).  Oversimplified - these are the fumes that you are breathing that are usually not good for you (or the environment, but let's focus on our own health first!).  Things like soap, Simple Green, Dawn, etc have minimal VOC.  Further up in this thread someone mentioned MEK (heck of a solvent - and a HUGE producer of VOC!).  Acetone (nail polish remover) is another one.  You don't want to be using these things in your basement or an enclosed area (or at all, if you can avoid them). - john

oc1

Agreed John.  If you want the speed and convenience of using something more volatile then you have to get out the good respirator and ventilation.  There's no free lunch.

JasonGotaProblem

Having used alcohol, wd40, and acetone previously I'm coming to find, randomly enough, that I really the speed of the results i get using charcoal lighter fluid. I tried it one day when I had nothing else on hand, and I keep going back to it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oc1

There's nothing wrong with that.  It is usually mineral spirits.  I've heard of alcohol based lighter fluid but never seen or used any.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Brewcrafter on February 04, 2021, 04:41:14 AM
Things like soap, Simple Green, Dawn, etc have minimal VOC.  Further up in this thread someone mentioned MEK (heck of a solvent - and a HUGE producer of VOC!).  Acetone (nail polish remover) is another one.  You don't want to be using these things in your basement or an enclosed area (or at all, if you can avoid them). - john

An interesting take. For me, Simple Green, Pine-Sol, ammonia and similar odorized cleaners, and women's perfume, give me an instant headache, plug my sinuses and swell my throat. I have, for years, in my unventilated 10' x 12' office/reel room, used lacquer thinner and straight acetone carefully with no serious adverse affects other than getting a little light headed once in awhile when my nose is too close to the parts/thinner jar. While my wife may argue somewhat with this  :D, my mind still functions as it should, and my lungs still function over 95% even though I smoked for 45 years. Knowing how to use a product is the key factor, not being afraid of it. I don't leave the can open for any extended length of time, I put a lid on the thinner jar immediately & keep it closed until I remove each part to dry & burnish/polish them. Yes, there are fumes and  a smell but but if appropriate cautions are taken it ain't going to kill or make a vegetable out of you.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Lunker Larry

The worst I came across is Ardent Reel Kleen Degreaser. The odour is super strong. Don't even like using it outdoors.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?