209 weekend project

Started by Mjg378, January 03, 2021, 05:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mjg378

I've been collecting a few 209s to add to the rods for the kids in my family to use.   My nephews have a gaggle of children that I'm fortunate to get to take fishing (just like I took them). I wanted something they could use to catch catfish here in TN or take to the ocean pier.  I picked up a few 209s for their simplicity of use and ease of maintenance. I then cleaned and gave them the "Tani Treatment".  They're like new and ready to go!
Mike   Memphis TN

foakes

Great work, Mike —

Those are looking very good — inside & outside!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Good job !...on the reels, as well as taking the kids out, to use them !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

thorhammer

Great call on your intended purpose. Few freshwater fish and few pier fish are going to stretch those out with 25lb mono on them, and you can find them for 30 bucks regularly. 5 bucks worth of drags and a service, and for my money there isn't a reel around you can buy new for 30 bucks that will outlive / work what you just built. The Peer LW's don't get a lot of attention, maybe because they just pack a lunch and come to work every day. I have  a load of them- the 9's and Mag 10's will be leaving the dock for live baiting stripers here shortly, I use the 209 and 210 for downrigger reels (also great for Spanish Mac trolling) and 309's for lead core trolling. I will wager cash the 309 has caught more lead core stripers on my lake than all others combined.

Nice job on those!

John

mo65

I grew up with 209s...poor kids on the river never even seen a Senator. A well serviced 209 will last forever, and is a very capable tool. Nice work! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Hey,  just noticed the 12/20! I bet the redsetta says, "what 209's???? (Justin) :)

Mjg378

Thanks for the kind words. We have a river that's 1/2 mile from the house we go to that has plenty of hungry channel catfish that will be perfect for the 209.    I love it when I get the phone call "can we go fishing".   Looking forward to the next visit! 

Mjg378

Oh yeah.  That Beastmaster is for Me!!  Just got it the other day.  Wife said what do you want for a present.....    It's clean and seems to be in great shape.   That'll be the Next weekend project. 

foakes

John & Mike are right on with these 209's capabilities —

Up here in the Sierras — I use the 209's for trout trolling with lead-core, flashers, and crawlers.

I use the 9's for trolling with lead-core, a 10' leader of mono, and a Speedy Shiner, Thomas Buoyant, or similar.

The only things to be aware of on these — keep the LW worm and system clean and lightly lubricated with synthetic oil, keep an extra pawl on hand, and keep an extra nylon idler gear on hand.  Plus, try to start the line retrieve in alignment with the LW guide.  This tends to somewhat lessen the side (lateral) force when the guide is on the far side of the spool from where the line is coming on & off the spool — thus extending the life of the guide and wear on the LW parts.

I couldn't count the number of 209's I have bought at yard sales, or thrift stores for $5, or less — because the LW would not move with the spool.  9 times out of 10 — it is just a few teeth missing from the nylon idler gear.  I have a crate full of 9's, 209's, and 309's — just waiting to be put back in service.

Once, a few years ago — I traded out a local dentist some reel work for a 5 gallon bucket of 209's.  He said they were shot — and didn't think they were worth repairing — so he just bought new 209's every couple of years — then tossed the old ones in the bucket at his cabin.  Just idler gear replacements, service, and that was it!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Yup. Levelwind systems are a thing to get good at. Just got a Penn 210 serviced and spent the required (for me) 45 min. Putting the frame together with all the parts including the LW assembly, then making adjustments. No adjustments(bending the worm gear shield)were needed as I found out that the line on the spool was slapping the pawl as it passed a fat spot.
Brute force and ignorance, luck, once and awhile I just know, this time though; stamina.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Don't you love the step where you balance the worm shield in two tiny holes while trying to set the other side plate in place with two more tiny holes.
-s

foakes

Quote from: oc1 on January 04, 2021, 07:08:18 AM
Don't you love the step where you balance the worm shield in two tiny holes while trying to set the other side plate in place with two more tiny holes.
-s

I used to do it that way also, Steve —

But instead of trying to get everything to line up at once with those tiny shield nub holes — or using rubber bands (which works also) — I just assemble the frame and sideplates normally without the worm shield — then with the front lower post not installed yet — just back off the screws on the tail plate (line guide post, rear post, and (2) stand screws) 1/2 turn — then slide the shield in place — snug up the frame — make sure the spool spins freely — install the line guide — drop in the worm — attach the worm tensioner and spring — install the pawl and pawl cap — test for an active worm function — install the lower front post — then I am done.

Works pretty quick and effectively every time.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

oc1

The wisdom of a professional.  Thanks,
-steve

thorhammer

Quote from: foakes on January 04, 2021, 07:56:18 AM
Quote from: oc1 on January 04, 2021, 07:08:18 AM
-s

I used to do it that way also, Steve —

But instead of trying to get everything to line up at once with those tiny shield nub holes — or using rubber bands (which works also) — I just assemble the frame and sideplates normally without the worm shield — then with the front lower post not installed yet — just back off the screws on the tail plate (line guide post, rear post, and (2) stand screws) 1/2 turn — then slide the shield in place — snug up the frame — make sure the spool spins freely — install the line guide — drop in the worm — attach the worm tensioner and spring — install the pawl and pawl cap — test for an active worm function — install the lower front post — then I am done.

yep-

Works pretty quick and effectively every time.

Best, Fred

Have prolly 50 Peers in total - all models- so had to figure out this method a ways back. It's faster than it took Fred to type it. If one doesn't want a level wind, for a multitude of reasons- casting distance, maintenance, pelagics that burn off 100's yards quickly, etc., then 27,180, 100, 146 are close to specs for 9,10's; 26/27, 140,145,150, 155,160,200 are close enough to 209/210, and the LB 60/ 65 and 49/ 349 are close to 309. Not getting into specifics of the listed reels' drag and retrieve ratios- generally a size up or down, but close enough for intended application. Level winds are very useful with novice anglers where you can't watch them every minute or get "my reel stopped working". Also useful when fishing multiple rods in holders on a boat, solo, and you may need to crank one-handed quickly while the other hand does something else. Ideally, multiple hookups, but more often clearing topography. Perhaps most importantly, they are to be had on a budget and deliver a solid performance.