Tinning Pot, Flux - Soldering questions

Started by Gobi King, January 07, 2021, 04:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Slide on a piece of shrink tube (glue type seals better) keep it away from the bare copper for now. Crimp lug, using an hydraulic crimper, no solder. Slide heat shrink over end of lug/cable joint - heat gun to shrink it. Tighten down lug nut and apple silicon grease (essentially the same as dielectric grease but often cheaper).

PacRat

I just saw your photos. That yellow marine grade cable is already tinned from the factory and is the key feature that makes it 'marine grade'.
If any of your other cables are copper (and are not tinned), I would recommend tinning them. I work in lightning protection so I see a lot of copper in harsh environments. I highly recommend tinned copper anytime there is saltwater involved. Saltwater plus electric current do a number on bare copper real fast.

We use a CRC product called Lectra-Shield to coat all connections. It's very much like the cosmoline that we find on mil-surp weapons. It sprays on like WD-40 but dries to a waxy amber or caramel color. This stuff really eliminates oxidation. If you ever want to remove it; it comes right off with any petroleum distillate/solvent. Even WD-40 will remove it and the copper will look brand new. Because the Lectra-Shield prays like WD-40, it will wick into all surfaces that might corrode. Also, because it has a waxy texture, it will lubricate the fasteners and allow you to tighten everything a little tighter.

One word of caution about the Lectra-Shield: Store it in a cool place. I've had the aerosol cans leak in hot environments like a gang-box and it will make a mess...so don't leave it on your boat while not using it.

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/lectra-shield-8482-long-term-corrosion-inhibitor-10-wt-oz-02031.html

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 10, 2021, 12:26:57 PM
.... no solder....

My failing memory might be wrong but think soldering marine wiring is a no no, it makes the ends stiff and they can break.  If you solder make sure the wires are secured to keep them from breaking.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

Lee is correct in saying do not solder the lugs on especially if used in a boat. The rules state the connection must be mechanical ie Crimped. I have used a hammer type crimper on smaller cables.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gobi King

Marine wire + lug > hydraulic crimp > some deox/lectra on bare wire > marine heat shrink

I will avoid soldering these.
Yes, I need to take a bit more off the jacket, I bought a jacket removal tool like a pipe cutter, but neglected to see that is will be shipped from China, so it is possibly in the middle of the pacific right now.

Greasing the lugs - I do this AFTER I torque the lugs down? the lugs on the inverter seems to stainless and lugs on my boat house batts I think were copper/tinned, can't remember right now.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Gobi King on January 11, 2021, 06:09:47 PM

Marine wire + lug > hydraulic crimp > some deox/lectra on bare wire > marine heat shrink

I will avoid soldering these.
Yes, I need to take a bit more off the jacket, I bought a jacket removal tool like a pipe cutter, but neglected to see that is will be shipped from China, so it is possible in the middle of the pacific right now.

Greasing the lugs - I do this AFTER I torque the lugs down? the lugs on the inverter seems to stainless and lugs on my boat house batts I think were copper/tinned, can't remember right now.

Yes. Grease AFTER crimping and tightening lugs.

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 11, 2021, 06:28:26 PM

Yes. Grease AFTER crimping and tightening lugs.

I like to grease first, assemble then coat all exposed metal with liquid black tape but grease works.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gobi King

My project has suffered a little delay with sourcing bms

I picked up a little toy to cleanly cut the 1/0 wire.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare