Stainless Steel Frame Posts

Started by Cortez_Conversions, January 09, 2021, 07:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

I just finished a set of stainless posts for a customer. These are for a Penn 50W to be exact.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Maxed Out

Nice !!

I'd be in for several sets for 113h and 99 width jigmaster, 501 too
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Yeah...the popular sizes would sell well I'd think. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Ron Jones

I know it would be spendy, but if you could make the ends thicker like the "dog bone" Abu CT conversions, that would be amazing.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

Some CT bars for abu's would be nice, I'd be in for a few in 4500, 5500 size. A couple to go with your squidder plates too!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

I would think that to make the ends thicker Tom would have to use thicker rod stock then a lot of machine work in the middle to reduce the diameter. That would at least double or triple the final cost. By the time you add up the cost it might be better to just order an aluminum frame for a stronger setup. Nice custom idea but not really economical.      Rudy

Cortez_Conversions

Part No. 37-49/180CC is a .219" diameter x 1-5/8"(1.625") long stainless steel frame post.
This post will fit various models of Penn reel:
27, 49L, 78, 100M, 110, 146L, 149L, 180, 185, 190, 249, 349, 349H, 349HC, 501, 506HS. The post diameter may or may not be the same as the stock chrome over brass posts on your reel. There seems to be several diameters used.

These should fit any Penn with a post length of 1-5/8" and have 5-40 threads.

https://www.cortezconversions.com/product-page/stainless-steel-frame-post
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

i haven't looks at this post in forever, but does anyone have an idea of how many different lengths penn used for their posts?  i'm just wondering if it would be worth maintaining an inventory of a couple dozen of each length. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

3 widths cover probably 200 reels in the 501-99-500 widths, all the way up to 3/0 112. Senators from 4/0 and up more or less have their own. I'd think a stock of the three "Jiggy-widths", plus 4/0 and 6/0 would cover 95 percent of requests for people doing refurbs from crappy chrome or upgrade. SS posts on the large Senators would be awesome (I'm in), but there may not be enough market. Then again, Randy's 20/0 kits FLEW, and if that's not a niche piece, there are none.

Note, and I may be wrong, but current 209 Chinese-manufactured posts are SS, or at least I had gotten some at one point. If those are available stock, that covers the -99 width seated reels, though maybe not in 316SS.

BTW, I played around with the UV polymer curing idea; nothing that holds up to be worth the effort. Worth a shot tho.

Cortez_Conversions

I'll keep adding new sizes in small lots as requested. As you can see in the listing, I'm listing the reels they fit(THANKS MYSTIC TACKLE!!), but also the physical dimensions and thread spec. for comparison. My 140/145/146 collection all have different diameters, so I'm not even going to chase that bone. It will come down to what stock material diameter I can find.

thorhammer

Tom, thanks for being on top of this!  I do see different diameters from say, 180 to 49 in the same widths; I think the 155 is small too vs 500. Made of SS I'd think they's be strong in any case. I never really noticed that until I went digging thru parts bins to find a matching set of four for a jiggy and they were different.

Alan says a couple dozen.....Ted will snag that many himself in  99 width!!!

reelrepair123

depending on the price, i think we would all be interested in a bunch of posts. gotta mass produce them.    harryk