New Life to an old Roddy blank

Started by steelfish, January 12, 2021, 01:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

A good old friend called me to ask me if I can build him a slow pitch jigging rod using an old Roddy blank he has in acid wrap (spiral wrap) and as you know the old saying, "He who pays the piper calls the tune", since the blank is all glass and with an extreme U-flex of the tip till the reelseat I tell him that we can try it, it might not perform as a true slow pitch rod but since he really wanted it to cast some spoons to spanish macks and corvinas and only want to look of the slowpitch rod why not!

this was build looking for a clean look and minimalist rear split grip, with just a tad of bling-bling just behind the reelseat, I must say that liked it a lot, I might wrap something similar for my arsenal with a proper jigging blank and a tall lowraider striper guide, but considering this was also built under a tight budget it looks pretty good.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

few more..

and thats it !!  ;D ;D

The Baja Guy

kjdunne

Swami805

nice one Alex, did you paint the blank?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

Beautiful Alex.

Roddy was in the first tier of fiberglass rod builders.  There history is a little checkered though because they were to first to send rod production offshore to Japan.  

https://roddyfishing.com/about-us/
-steve

oldmanjoe

That is one lively stick   build  .   I like the color combination , very good job .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

thorhammer

I HAD A HAND IN THAT MAGNIFICENT RECOVERY, I SENT ALEX A THREAD RACK!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D ;D

whether he uses it, i dont know.

Compadre, your fit and finish seems to somehow get better every build, that's an outstanding job! Are you sealing anything over the repainted blank?

Hardy Boy

Nice job as usual, great looking rod. Its nice to bring an old rod back like that.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on January 12, 2021, 05:26:15 AM
nice one Alex, did you paint the blank?

yep, I painted it with normal spray can for plastics, the owner wanted it to match colors of a 1st gen Okuma Komodo reel which is Grey Charcoal and metallic red accents, too bad I didnt have anymore my komodo with me (actually I sold it to him) to take a picture of the rod with the reel on it, but I do have the Abu revo sx that our friend Keith sent for my dautgher, the reel is black with red accents so it still match really good, I changed the paddle handle on the revo for a larger one I have from another reel, it didnt match in color but is 2x comfortable than stock.

Quote from: oc1 on January 12, 2021, 08:55:39 AM
Beautiful Alex.

Roddy was in the first tier of fiberglass rod builders.  There history is a little checkered though because they were to first to send rod production offshore to Japan.  

https://roddyfishing.com/about-us/
-steve

interesting info Steve, thanks for sharing

Quote from: thorhammer on January 12, 2021, 04:30:47 PM
I HAD A HAND IN THAT MAGNIFICENT RECOVERY, I SENT ALEX A THREAD RACK!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D ;D

whether he uses it, i dont know.

Compadre, your fit and finish seems to somehow get better every build, that's an outstanding job! Are you sealing anything over the repainted blank?
LOL, many of my works have a hand of the ohana one way or another, I cannot be more than happy to belong to this communitty where I had gotten many help, tips, materials, etc, btw, I do use your Thread Rack, thanks

this is the 1st blank Im trying the 2-parts automotive clear coat, I took the blank to a local auto bodyshop and they sprayed few coats to clear coat (with flex additive) on it, Im must say that even that I still used normal thread epoxy Diamond 2 over the painted part of the split grip and between the last guide and the tiptop, those parts on my experience are the ones that could have most of the heavy scratches and boat rash so, I added a bit of more protection.
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

happyhooker

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures Alex,   Your rod work is very good and shows me that im still learning. ::)   You took a sows ear and made a silk purse! :D
  Q?   How did you hide the cat hair?    :-X    Just kidding of coarse....
       The rod should do the owner proud.     Now just send us some fish pictures. :-*

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on January 14, 2021, 01:16:06 AM
  Q?   How did you hide the cat hair?    :-X    Just kidding of coarse....

my new working room is free of cat hair, not cats allowed on my working room, they can have all the rest of the rooms of the house

Quote from: gstours on January 14, 2021, 01:16:06 AM
........    Now just send us some fish pictures. :-*

I wish I could go fishing, but Im trying to be at home the most that I can, I need to return to my beginnings and take all the dust off from my shore fishing gear so, I can go fishing with my kiddos or alone for few hours.
The Baja Guy