Spooling braid and connecting to topshot

Started by thorhammer, January 14, 2021, 07:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Spooling up for BFT. I'm using solid 130 braid because I have a new service spool of it.  Hollow would've been nice but not in the cards for this project. How much drag to spool with?

Q2:Will be finished with Bimini. Three rods will not have issue, but the fourth has Aftco HD guides, and I'm concerned about connection clearance. I'm replacing the Aftco tip with a large one- it's an International SU, but an early one where mainly straight mono was used. Can anyone advise whether loop -to-loop Bimini will be tight enough to get through the Aftco 31 and 41 rollers, or should I consider braid with Bimini double loop-to Spro (what size?)- to crimped 130 mono or fluoro (as case may be). The latter is what we run for high speed wahoo trolling and planer rigging; I'm unsure if I use a really HD Spro if it will get through through those guides. I run oversized roller tip and Turbo's 16-16-16-20-to HD51 Aftco on the planer rod I built with no issue.

Note- these are East Coast BFT, not West, so our rigging is reverse of left Coast, and there are a bunch boats trolling really close to each other, so heaviest tackle available to get a fish close quickly. They weighed a 661 right down from where I was fishing last week.

alantani

25 pounds.....

the typical rig for us would be a penn international 50 or makaira 50, 700 yards of 130 pound braid and a 25 yard topshot of 130 mono or fluoro, drags set to 40 pounds at strike and a corresponding 60-65 pounds at full.  i generally recommend that the line tensioner be set to 2/3rds of the strike drag setting.  a reel that is set to 40 pounds at strike would have braid loaded with approximately 25 pounds of tension. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

for a braid to mono/fluoro connection, i still use my modified tony pena.  it's a 4 turn uni on the mono/fluoro side and 8-up and 10-down on the braid side.  been using this knot for quite a while now.  been really happy with it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Perfect! I almost just texted you directly but wasn't sure if you were busy on something else. I'm using an 80T, 80 and two Everol Super 50's, which have about the capacity of a std 80. I figured 600yds braid with about 150-200 yds 130 top shot. Our fish are generally in less than 60 feet of water so they can go out but not down in any case. I use the uni for everything, cause its the uni, but wasn't sure about double uni going this heavy, so will be easy for me to tie your knot. Keep the double line form the Bimini or go straight to braid  with your combo? Normally I double braid with surgeon's in lighter weights.

These reels won't go that high on drag, but I'll still use your formula to pack the line. 32 Strike and 40 at full is probably what I'll end up with. Replacing drag on the 80 with duradrag one piece plate too. If you know a hack to ratchet up the drag on the 80T I'm all ears- (()) maybe?