makaira 15 2 sp

Started by intili, November 19, 2011, 03:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Richardr

Hello guys
I just received my new Makaira 10 II, and the first thing I noticed was how tiny the line pin is, and that it is mis-installed (bent sideways).
#1 I do not believe this line pin is strong enough for #50lb spectra
#2 Embarrassing that they don't have better inspection of their reels since Okuma claims the Makaira to be an egineering masterpiece. Even if their are workarounds with mono backing or gaffa tape I still believe a reel this expensive should do better.

Apart from that the reel seems really nice though....

/Richard

alantani

go with a single wrap of flex tape around the arbor, then 3-5 wraps of spectra over the flex tape, then a 5 turn uni knot and spool your spectra on so that it is vein popping tight.  do not attach the line to the pin. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

intili

OK guys! I posted about my 15 2 speed pin breaking off, see above post. I spoke to Ron at Okuma, and he said that was first he heard about pins breaking, and they sent me a brand new spool no questions asked, I need to install it. I will reattempt to tie off my 100# spectra to the new spool. I firmly believe that the pins(albeit very small) should be useable, why are they there? If we dont all use them and see if they are up to the task, how can OKUMA(who appear to be very customer service driven)react to this issue. I have many old penn reels and i tied off to all their pins without issue. The pin is there for a reason!

Bryan Young

I personally remove all of my pins as I have found it can bind with the line.  For this reason, Okuma recessed it so that line laying on the spoll will not bind with the pin.  I guess I've gotten used to not using a pin and leave it at that.  It's just what I do.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D