Okuma Makaira 8 II vs 10 II line capacity and spool width concerns

Started by Richardr, October 31, 2011, 05:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardr

Hello guys
I've just ordered a Makaria 8, but having seconds thoughts of changing that order to a Makaira 10 instead.
My concern with the Makaria 8 is if I have 50lb spectra (approx 350 yards according to Alan's rebuild), and I'm fishing in 100 yards depth of water, will the "total diameter of the line left on the spool" left on the spool be much thinner thus slowing down the line retrievement. I don't know how to explain what I mean really, but since the spool is so narrow the diameter of the line left on the spool must be affected much more compared to a Makaira 10 when letting line out.
In Alan's rebuild of the 8 II the 350yards 50LB was spooled really tight and nice, and I guess during practical fishing you will not be able to keep the line so tight, and maybe if you are not careful width distributing the line with your thumb the line might touch the frame or end up between the spool and the frame as with my Avet MXJ.
A reel with 500yards of 50lb spectra would be nice, and where it doesn't matter if your line piles up sometimes. Also if the line breaks and you loose 100 yards of line you can just keep fishing (where with less line you might want to re-spool). Maybe the Makaira 10 II is a better bet with my concerns?
How much wider is the 10 compared to the 8, and does it feel much heavier and clumsy?

thanks for the help
Richard

Richardr

Received the attached picture from Okuma Customer Service. I thought it might be of use for you guys too. All measurements in millimeters.

akfish

In my opinion, the 8 is a very specialized reel. Given the questions you are asking, I'd strongly recommend the 10.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

redsetta

Cheers for the pics Richard.
x2 on AK's advice.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

a friend of mine is getting too old to fish and has a makaira 15 that i'll bet has never been fished.  if you are fishing at 300 feet, the makaira 15 might be a reasonable alternative.  please send a pm if you are interested.  it is already spooled with 65 pound spectra.  he wants $400 and that includes the line!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Richardr

Thanks for the offer Alan, but I just ordered the MK10II today. Spool width is about the same as my Avet MXJ, so hopefully it will look/feel as I expect. The Makaira is not sold in Sweden, so Internet research was the only way...

thanks
RIchard

djac

I'm interested in an Makaira, but I have no chance to get it in the hand, so that I have some further questions about the proportions of the Makaira 10.

As I can see from the drawing, the diameter of the housing should be 80mm. Is that right? But what is the diameter of the spool, can't see that from the drawing.

And the second question is for the length of the lever arm of the crank, means not the overall length but the distance between the spool and the handle axis.

Thanks.

regards Dieter

Richardr

Dieter/Djac
I just opened up my Mak 10 II and measured the spool height. It measures approx 57-58mm.
I'm not sure what you mean with the handle lenght since the handle is not mounted centered aligned with the spool. The handle overall lenght is approx 100mm, and 80mm mounted center and handle knob center. The handle lenghth measured from the spool center (drag preset knob centre) to the handle knob center is approx 55mm.
Hope this helps