Makaira II 16.5

Started by Bill Benrath, December 31, 2011, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Benrath

Any word if/when Okuma is going to expand the Makaira line?  Seems like a taller (JX or HX) size reel for 60lb would be a good addition.  There is a big gap between the 15 and the 20.

alantani

i have no idea about timing, but okuma would have room for reel the size of a penn international 16 vsx.  the 16 is midway in height between the 10 and the 20.  i actually chose a penn international 12 vsx for 400 yards of 80# spectra.  it would be nice to see them fill this hole. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill Benrath

Alan,

Have you had a chance to cast the Penn 12 yet?  I see it only has four bearings.  What made you chose the Penn over the Accurate BX-2 series, the anti-reverse bearing in the Accurates?

Are you using it as a 60lb bait reel?

Happy New Year,

Bill

alantani

yes, i had the 12 vsx loaded straight to the top with 400 yards of solid 80# braid, then added a 3 foot top shot of 60# fluoro.  great reel. i cast as well as could be expected for a large reel.  i wish the makaira came in that size.  

Bill Benrath

I was just checking on some prices and there is a seller on ebay that has one significantly less than anyone else.  He has his own store and is a preferred seller.  There is only one 12VSX right, it's only been out for about a year?

Thanks for the info Alan,

Bill

PS I seriously considered a HX for this line size.  I had myself talked into buying a regular HX and calling Scott at Avet and ordering 6 each of the spool bearings and 6 pinion bearings.  The Penn hopfully will be a better choice.

alantani

the drag range on the penn is much better.