Fishing south Australia

Started by Sharkb8, February 04, 2021, 10:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkb8

The last two days we had some wild weather and so has Tasmania and Western Australia. The cyclone's usely happen in the Northern part of Australia.

Kim

Sharkb8

Went out on the weekend bagged out on King George whiting in a hour and then went for squid for a couple of hours

Kim

Cor

Nice looking squids, a different specie to what we get in Cape Town.
Cornelis

thorhammer

Donnyboat

Nice catch of whiting Kim, you have two kinds of squid there have`nt you, the demersible exspirey date finished here today,  but looks like bad weather to get out to sea for another week, we had two really hot day early December, since then its been really cold, 22C today, forecasting rain Friday & Saturday, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

great fishing amigo, as our ohana guys have said, nothing like catching a fish with a reel you have customized.

looks like will have many days of good and healthy eating
The Baja Guy

Sharkb8

Don yes we have two types of squid here as well southern calamari and arrow squid (torpedo squid)

Kim

Brewcrafter

Kim that looks like a great day fishing and some good meat!  Thank you so much for sharing, most of what I know about fishing down there is what I have learned from Donny but then again I do realize you are an entire continent down there so what happens in one area may be totally different than another.  Stupid question - you mentioned that you caught a snapper that you had to release "because of the band"?  What does that mean?  Do you have tagged fish that you need to release, or is it something where a male or female of a species has different coloration/bands and you let them go?  Sorry for the questions but love to learn about what fishing is like in other parts of the world and thanks again for sharing!!!! - john

Sharkb8

John the snapper had been over fished,so band means your not allowed to fish for them and if you catch one it has to be release. They put a band on catching snapper for three years to allow them to breed up again, so now we have one more year to wait before we can fish for them again.

Kim

conchydong

Kim, That Snapper is what we would call a Porgie in the Western Atlantic Ocean.
Nice fishing.

Scott

Donnyboat

Thanks Scott, they call them Pink Snapper in Australia, thanks for showing us your photo, your much like me, they could call both of us porkies to, the Pink Snapper on the west coast of Australia, tend to devellope a larger hump above the eyes, to the hieght of the top of the fish, all very interesting, thanks again, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

Don asked if I would post this photo of a Pink Snapper in his area of the world!!

Hi Wayne,

I mentioned on one of the posts about the pink snapper on the West coast of Australia, having a more pronounced hump on top of their head,

this is an 83 Cm snapper approximately 9 kg, approx. 20 lbs,

caught last week, in geography bay in 14 M of water, geography bay is from a line, cape Naturalist, to Bunbury & South off.

If you have time to place it on the forum,

I will try to comment, although I will be away for a few days fishing crabbing & net fishing till Thursday.

What a life,

Cheers, Don.

Donny Boy, take it from here!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Thanks again Wayne for post the picture for me, the story with the pic explains it all really, the young man that caught it was only 16, good memories for the rest of his life, ay, I also have a mate that went out West of Bunbury, through the week as he was geting his gear ready to drop, his decky pulled up a double header of snapper they were both over 75 Cms, cheers for now, merry Xmas, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

Gfish

Don, do your Snappers "snap" when you bring 'em aboard?
I've got a few Uku(Grey Snapper) here and discovered why they's called that. I always thought it had to do with how they took the bait/lure. A pretty loud sound, too.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!