Crosswind/main gear STILL stuck

Started by jzumi, February 04, 2021, 03:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzumi

I'm trying to service my friend's Penn Fierce ii 4000.

When I reassembled it, the Main shaft travelled to the top of its range and then the crosswind gear and the main gear jammed.  I could not remove the crosswind gear from the main shaft because the screws were occluded by the main.

Unfortunately, I tried to spin the rotor by hand and of course the main gear snapped some teeth.

New crosswind gear and main gear are on order.  What am I doing that is causing these gears to jam and how do I avoid it?

Please understand that I am a complete novice.  Thanks for any and all suggestions.

John

handi2

John this happened when the side cover was removed. The main gear was allowed to move around and get stuck.

When you assemble the new parts make sure you don't turn the reel until the side cover is at least put on the reel.

To assemble start up top first. Install the pinion gear with its 2 bearings and clutch bearing. Then install the rotor.

Next is the crosswind gear and the crosswind block. Keep these two parts at the bottom of their travel.

Then install the main gear. Slide the spool shaft in, install the crosswind block plate and its two screws. All the while holding the rotor so nothing moves.

Replace the shims from the old main gear and install the side plate and its screws.

If the reel feels too tight you may have to remove one of the shims on the main gear that are under the bearing.

You should replace the pinion gear also.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jzumi

All of that makes sense.  Thanks!

jzumi

Well, I am missing something here.   I reassembled following the above instructions once the replacement parts arrived.

Reel spun fine for three ups and downs of the rotor and then become binded in the up position.  The spool was the only thing  not installed.  I'm afraid of turning the rotor by hand to get the shaft to descend because I think that will break teeth like last time.

What could I be doing wrong?