Excise Taxes on fishing gear???

Started by nelz, February 04, 2021, 10:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I just saw on your site: "% Federal Excise Tax will be added to all sales"

Can you explain the reason for this? From what I understand, excise taxes are sometimes known as "sin taxes" and most often levied upon cigarettes, alcohol, gasoline and gambling, aka "vices". Have the feds now classified fishing gear as a vice?

Crow

Not sure about the Feds...but my WIFE apparently thinks so ! LOL !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

nelz

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

QuoteHave the feds now classified fishing gear as a vice?

The Sportfishing Industry did it on their own. I remember back in the early '80s when the Lindner's, and many others, were huge advocates of it. Some of that had to do with cleaning up pollution of lakes, rivers & streams, too, though.

I know we need taxes to help pay for all this stuff that a lot of people think the money grew on trees, but I decided back in the mid '80s, after I bought my last, and only new, fishing boat that I would try to buy as little new fishing and hunting equipment as possible. Every reel I have purchased since 1985 has been used. FWIW, even if you build your own rods any new blanks, guides, handles, etc. are subject to that tax. I know I don't save a whole lot when I consider my time when building a new rod but at least I'm not paying an excise tax on my own labor.  ;) I haven't bought $100 worth of new lures in the last 35 years. Where I fish no fish are old enough to have seen many  Punkinseeds, River Runts, Creek Chubs, Crazy Crawlers, etc.  ;D  Used, untaxed to me, tackle works just fine.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

For a while, part of my salary came from Dingell-Johnson money distributed by FWS to the states.  It was like the state agency's slush fund because it was poorly focused with little accountability or reporting requirements.  I promise all you tackle buyers, you got ripped off..... but thank you every much.
-s

Black Pearl

Quote from: nelz on February 04, 2021, 10:50:33 PM
I just saw on your site: "% Federal Excise Tax will be added to all sales"

Can you explain the reason for this? From what I understand, excise taxes are sometimes known as "sin taxes" and most often levied upon cigarettes, alcohol, gasoline and gambling, aka "vices". Have the feds now classified fishing gear as a vice?

Recently, I was audited by US IRS. It found out that any fishing parts I made (over sea or in the US) was subjected to 10% of the selling price for Sport Fishing Excise tax. I have been paying that tax for any fishing lines and rods I've sold. I think the big brother is monitoring this site as well. I would recommend other fishing reel parts makers to take a look at this taxes, be careful.

For more info on this taxes, you can Google "IRS Publication 510" on page 31.

nelz

Wow, I had no idea this even existed!

nelz

Quote from: oc1 on February 05, 2021, 08:36:58 AMIt was like the state agency's slush fund because it was poorly focused with little accountability or reporting requirements.  I promise all you tackle buyers, you got ripped off..... but thank you every much.

Gee, there's a surprise.  ::) ::) ::)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on February 05, 2021, 08:36:58 AM
For a while, part of my salary came from Dingell-Johnson money distributed by FWS to the states.  It was like the state agency's slush fund because it was poorly focused with little accountability or reporting requirements.  I promise all you tackle buyers, you got ripped off..... but thank you every much.
-s

Sorry I didn't contribute much, Steve.  ;) Nothing personal, Compadre.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 05, 2021, 08:07:27 PM
Quote from: oc1 on February 05, 2021, 08:36:58 AM
-s

Sorry I didn't contribute much, Steve.  ;) Nothing personal, Compadre.  ;D

Tommy, if my tax money is going to be squandered, I'm happy to hear that some of it is being squandered in your direction!

Gfish

Here "excise taxes" are levied on businesses for the products they sell us. The businesses in turn charge that same amount(4% or 4.2%) on all sales to customers. So we have no official State sales tax. Basically just a shuffling/word game.

Have worked at 2 State fish facilities. Both places it was: "we have to spend all of our budget this year, whether we need to or not, if we don't, we won't get the same amount next year!" Got a lecture about it at each place. Lot's of essentially- not needed- but new stuff, got purchased(JMO). Some stuff was indeed needed, though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

The old stereotype and everything they say is true.