Divine Intervention

Started by Maxed Out, February 08, 2021, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Recently had a minor flood in my garage and while going thru things, I found some relics from my youth. An old large envelope had some newspaper clippings and one stood out from the crowd. I still recall every moment like it just happened 5 minutes ago, but this was 40 years ago, and some things happened that day that still cannot be explained
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oldmanjoe

;D  Let me grab a drink , but do continue to tell the story ....
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Dominick

Quote from: Maxed Out on February 08, 2021, 10:58:22 PM
Recently had a minor flood in my garage and while going thru things, I found some relics from my youth. An old large envelope had some newspaper clippings and one stood out from the crowd. I still recall every moment like it just happened 5 minutes ago, but this was 40 years ago, and some things happened that day that still cannot be explained

Funny you should mention flood in garage.  Just yesterday the bottom dropped out of the clothes washer and it flooded the laundry room which is adjacent to the garage.  I got a squeegee and swept the water into the garage and then it flowed  out into the street.  You would think a washing machine that gets used 2-3 times a week would last more than 35 years.   :D ;D  Ted I now have a beer in my hand and await the rest of the story.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

Imitating Steve Harvey  "and now for the rest of the story...."
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

This day started with an invite from my friend Butch. He had a friend that lived on a private lake and asked if we wanted to go fishing in a lake that none of us had fished before or since. My brother and his friend Tom joined us to make it a foursome. Butch had a small aluminum boat and only 2 could reasonably fish from it, so my brother and his friend fished from the private dock. Butch and I went out to the middle of the lake and dropped anchor. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop, and only 2 other boats fishing and they were a fair distance away from us. We were only fishing a few minutes when we heard a loud crash kind of sound and then a splash over by those 2 boats. Then noticed a person in the water that looked to be panicing by doing helicopter type moves with his arms. The other boat we saw was nearby, but it was a 12YO kid in a 6' plastic boat. The kid was right there and stuck out his oar for the guy to grab. I saw his arm reach for the oar and then the arm just slid down into the water. The kid was just gazing over the side of his boat into the water. Right away Butch yelled "whats he doing" ?? The kid yelled back "he's on the bottom face down". Butch yelled back "go to shjore and call 911". So the kid rowed to shore and off he went.

We were at least a couple hundred yards away with the anchor still down. Butch started pulling the anchor and I was already rowing. All those days growing up on a lake and I was no stranger on how to row a boat fast with someone in front and nobody in back. As we got closer I saw Butch start to rip off his clothes, right down to his boxer shorts. We got to where we knew we were close and started scanning the bottom where it was about 7-8' deep. There he was, Butch didn't hesitate and jumped in. It seemed like forever and Butch came up empty handed. I said whats up, and he replied "the guy is heavy and when he tried to push up off the bottom, he sunk knee deep in mud. I told him to get under him and walk towards the dock(about 10' away). I rowed to the dock and got ready. Next thing I see is the victim popped up, but no Butch, but I knew Butch was there as The lifeless body moved towards the dock. I grabbed his belt and had to wait for Butch to get on the dock so we could pull him onto the dock. He was face down, so I rolled him over and stood up gazing at him cause I'd never seen blue lips before. There was no plan of attack going on now that he was out of the water. Meanwhile my brother and his friend started hollering at us from their dock about 100yds away. They yelled "whats he doing"? "Is he breathing"? We didn't answer, but I looked at Butch and said one of us needs to give him CPR. Butch looked at me and said "I got him outta the water". I knew that was my Q to at least give it a try. By this time he had been not breathing for at least 5 minutes. I got on my knees and tried blowing into him, but it just blew out his nose, so then I plugged his nose and blew again, but he was full up with water and air wasn't going in at all. Like trying to blow air into a pop bottle. After that 2nd try I somehow instantly had another plan. I once again blew into him, but this time I really blew as hard as I could to create back pressure and the split second I took my mouth off, I shoved his head over the edge of the dock. To my amazement, something was working. My plan to siphon out the fluid was working as a solid steady stream of water came out for a good 10 seconds, and it was clear water just like the lake water. I rolled his head back up and gave him one breath and butch did 2 or 3 quick chest compressions and all a sudden this guy was laying there snoring. I cannot explain what just happened, it all just happened really fast. I cannot describe the tingling sensation that was rushing thru my body from stem to stern. Butch and I had a quick discussion and we both agreed he had been not breathing for over 5 minutes, so we were elated to see him breathing on his own.

We stayed with him until paramedics arrived about 10 minutes later. The paramedic told me his snoring means he was in severe shock.

Funny, none of us ever talked about that day, and I've never told anyone about the incident. The best part of the story is yet to come...

Maxed Out

Now I'll take a few quotes from the Seattle Times Newspaper article

"They did not know what to do and they did something and they were so right with what they did" said his grateful wife. Mary

Mr Kennedy was far from out of trouble. He spent about a week in ICU and was unconsious most of that time. His wife recalled, His head was just huge, and so full of water. They said it was a miracle, but he really wanted to live. He worked hard on it. When he first regained consciousness, he said he only remembers fishing, and then waking up in the hospital, but during those 6 days he did vividly recall talking with his dad, who had passed away 18 years earlier !!

The people that lived on the lake retrieved everything he lost minus his trout. An address book with his fishing boots, his wallet with $235 cash still inside, and one lady found his coat and returned it to him freshly cleaned.

Lastly, Patrick Kennedy was a WWII veteran, that served tours of duty in Europe and North Africa and had appearantly cheated death more than once before. The Article said he was 63 at the time. Sadly, I was young and dumb and never attempted to contact him. I regret not being able to give him a big bear hug.

Here is the article. Click on the pic for easier reading

Wompus Cat

Utterly AMAZING Story Ted .
You were a Guardian angel !
Thanks for sharing it !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

I think Ted was listening to his Guardian Angle ,  when you do things that you never did before , like you did it before .
  OK that story was worth the wait  ;) 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Swami805

Incredible story Ted on so many levels. Many people would panic or freeze and do nothing. Sounds like you stayed as calm as one could and your instincts took over. Nice job!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

whalebreath

Thanks So Much for posting this Ted!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Thanks for sharing, Ted —

Great account — title of the post is perfect!.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

I knew it was a good idea to hang around with you!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Vintage Offshore Tackle

It's great to know a real live hero!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!