Swap guts from HXJ MC Raptor To a standard HX MC ?

Started by CooldadE, February 10, 2021, 01:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I have a HXJ Raptor MC reel. I can get a new HX non Raptor MC reel for a good price. I would rather have the HX be a Raptor and the HXJ be a non Raptor. Could someone (not me) swap out the Raptor parts and leave me with the 2 reels I want ? Am I nuts ?

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

alantani

it's the spools that are different, so it won't work.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CooldadE

Gotcha... I wanted a higher capacity reel for my PHD-760 2XH rod (40-100) ... I would like to fish 80#. I'm not rich, but I do like quality gear. Any reel suggestions  from $-$$$ ???

Cool

alantani

yeah, the hx raptor would have been a good choice.  maybe you could work a trade with someone?   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CooldadE

Good advice... thanks. I kinda like the HXJ and would like to keep it. I guess some candidates for an 80# reel would be The Fathom 40NLD2, Torque 40NLD2, INT16VISX , Avet HX Raptor or Mak 16...any others I should consider? Not much for Daiwa or Shimano...though I have a Lexa 400 and a TLD 5 and 10...

Cool

Rivverrat

Ive played with the Fathom 40. Fantastic reel for the price. My thoughts are its not a reel for 80 but lite 60 when compared to other 60 class reels... Jeff

MarkT

I use my HX Raptor and Mak 15T for 60#, the Mak 16 for 80# and the HXW Raptor and Mak 20 for 100#, with the HXW being a light 100 rig.  I'll flat fall with it and troll but for big fish it's Mak 20 all the way.  I don't have an HXJ but do use a JX Raptor.  Pretty much the same thing in a different form factor.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

If you're looking at fishing 80 lb on the fathom 40s I would send it in to Cal Sheets and have him set it up for that. I use my 40 nld2 for 60 lb. At around 18 lbs at strike you start to lose free spool on the stock 40s.