Red Beans and Rice

Started by SteveL, February 11, 2021, 03:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveL

1 lb small red beans (or large if you prefer, Camellia brand is traditional)
14-16oz package of Andouille sausage, sliced.
2-3 tsp Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
1 tsp paprika (to help keep the red color)
1 Medium onion, chopped
1 Green bell pepper, chopped
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
2 bay leaves
optional 2 tsp ham seasoning. (Better than Bouillon Ham flavor)
3 cups long grain rice (I use Thai Jasmine these days)

Rinse and soak beans in advance.

I cook my red beans in a pressure cooker to save time.  You can do the slow cook if you like.

For the Andouille sausage, I like a medium to coarse grind.  Johnsonville Andouille is decent if you can't find better.

Celery, bell pepper and onions should be close to equal amounts.  Adjust as necessary for your taste.

Start with the heat kind of high.  Place small amount of oil or butter in the pressure cooker, add celery, peppers, onion and andouille sausage to the pressure cooker.  Stir until veggies start to look a little transcendent.

Add creole seasoning and paprika, then stir.  Drain beans and add.   Add water to cover (about 4 cups depending on how well the beans are soaked).  Add ham seasoning and bay leaves, stir.   Put lid on pressure cooker and bring up to pressure.  Reduce heat to medium.   I use the High pressure setting (250 degrees) for 12 minutes, then set aside to cool and release pressure.   Cook rice according to package instructions while the beans cool.

Open the pressure cooker when the pressure has released.  Check of beans to see if they are cooked enough.  I recommend additional cooking (if necessary) without pressure as you can easily turn the beans to mush. 

When the beans are done, there are a couple ways to thicken the remaining liquid.   The traditional way is to mash some of the beans against the side of the pot and stir.   Due to the veggies and sausage that you don't want to mash, I cheat and cook another small pot of just red beans to mash for thickening.  An alternative cheat would be a little cornstarch as thickener (or a commercial product like Thicken-up).

I serve beans over rice like a gravy.  Others serve beans in bowl with a mound of rice on top.

Total prep and cook time, about 45 minutes, not counting soaking the beans.

RowdyW

SteveL

Quote from: RowdyW on February 11, 2021, 04:10:47 PM
"Where's the fish"  ???  ;D

Preferably fried and on the plate next to the red beans and rice.

There are lots of non-fish recipes here, from beef ribs to chicken enchiladas.