Fg knot questions

Started by gstours, February 13, 2021, 01:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

One thing i see the most  in this thread is the mono tag is cut to early .   the other thing i see is some crisis cross thing going on before the half hitches " naked mono "

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

SteveL

I posted this in the wrong thread a while back, meaning to post it here:

"Why not just finish with a 6 to 8 turn Uni, unwrapping the loop to form pretty much a nail knot.   This is how I finish biminis."

The Rizzuto finish shown in the video is same as what I learned as the "Venezuelan finish" to a bimini twist.  I would much prefer to finish either the Bimini or FG knot with this than a bunch of half hitches.  (The Venezuelan finish to the bimini should have one half hitch between the twists and the finish knot.)

On occasion, when tying a slim beauty or Tony Pena knot, I will pass the braid back through the stop knot before tightening it down.  Then when everything is tight, tie one of these finishes on the other side of the stop knot.  In this case, it does not function as a "lock knot" but more as a ramp to help the stop knot pass the guides more easily.

SteveL

Here is another knot for you:

New 2020 SC Knot. Super easier than FG knot!!!

jurelometer

Quote from: SteveL on March 02, 2021, 03:17:28 AM
Here is another knot for you:

New 2020 SC Knot. Super easier than FG knot!!!

Last year's knot.  Too bad it is 2021  ;D

It will get some points with Gary.  He likes lots of wraps.  :) :) :)

Basically an up/down wrap with some locking half hitches.   All of the down wraps lie on top of the up wraps.  Most versions melt a knob on the mono to keep the braid from sliding off.  If it tests well for you than go for it, but does not look like a likely candidate to me.  As much as I distrust the FG,  it has better potential to deform the mono, which is what gives it it's grip. 

Hey Gary:  Why not test an Alberto with under 10 wraps?

-J