What is This Type of Grease?

Started by foakes, February 13, 2021, 11:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Like many of you who have been wrenching on reels for awhile — we seldom run into something new — but once in a while...

Knocked out restores today on a Mitchell 301, a DQ 265, a DQ 220, and a Penn 105 that had (2) frozen sideplate screws that broke off when removing them.  Required drilling & tapping & new screws.  That sure slowed things down a bit.

Then decided to tackle a couple of Super 270's and a DQ 700B for another client.

There is this light pea green grease with the consistency of soft chewing gum.  Kind of a solid, light green color.

When removing it — it makes a 14" tail before coming loose.

Just never run across this —I will get as much as possible off before running it in the lacquer thinner and Ultrasonic cleaner.

Any ideas?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

is it extremely tacky w/ a weird smell:
sorta' petrol-based, plus strong nauseatingly sweet component
like someone poured motor oil over rotting fruit
maybe, started out tan & acquired the green

maybe this, or older version thereof:
https://www.musclelubricants.com/power-lift-grease-pl-10/

foakes

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 13, 2021, 11:54:59 PM
 It may be this grease http://davidhmorris.com/index.html

http://www.greengrease.net/PDF/ggfactsheet.pdf
 ??? ??? ???    What is that vise grip tool used for ???

Think this is what it is, Joe —

And it is extremely tacky like Roman pointed out.

Got the bad one cleaned — the other one is bad also — but a different grease — and lots of it.

Lots of guys use a lot of grease in these because they are used in the salt.  Just a way to protect some of the internals.  Nothing wrong with that — it was just a surprise, that's all...

I use that parrot beak vise grip for pressing in pins — removing pins, etc..

It is actually a locker set used for gripping nuts — but when nothing else is quick or easy — this generally does the trick.

Was putting together a Mitchell 301 early this morning — and I don't generally remove the A/R lever — but in this case it needed a replacement — and it is a splined shaft that connects the A/R lever through the frame with the Eccentric that in turn activates the A/R dog with the main gear.

They can be pounded together to set the spline — but there is always the risk of marring a part or two.  With these — it is just a steady and controllable multiplier of pressure without having to use the press.  Pretty handy.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Ha  I can see the benefit to pressing a ar on a mitchell frame , You threw when i see a  270 laying there .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

I would have guessed Aqua Seal grease.

philaroman

so, what would that creamy tacky stuff be good for?
mine is Power-Lift PL-10 Assembly Grease -- looks EXACTLY like Fred's 2nd photo
grabbed a couple grease/oil kits dirt-cheap at auction, 10++ yrs ago
1 gun, 1 reel (allegedly  ::) ) -- same grease; different greenish oils
pretty sure it's old petrol-based, rather than modern synthetic
used up the stinky oil as soaking agent; still have most of the grease

David Hall

I'm thinking it looks a lot like Mercruiser extreme grease?  Would have to see and touch it to compare but the color is right.

Hardy Boy

I'm with Steve. Aqua Seal is tacky (to say the least) and light green. A float plane mechanic gave me two tubes. Its hard to spread and the only good use I found was putting it under the reel seat ........... it goes no where.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

oc1

In recent years, it has been touted for loading up the reel guts.  I tried it too.  It sure smooths things out and eliminates any sound.  It would be a good thing to put inside an old growler that you're trying to sell.  But, it's not worth it if you will ever have to go back inside the reel.

oldmanjoe

IT may be a little late now , but that blob of dark grease in the right hand corner .    I wonder how it would react to a drop of water and stirred up ?
  Would it turn green ?  OR did the last guy just added another color grease .   Ha a mystery !!