Help me pair my rods to reels for fishing Colonet....

Started by pjstevko, February 14, 2021, 03:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'm going on my first trip to Colonet at the end of the month and it's being advertised as a yellowtail, rockfish and lingcod trip. I need help pairing my rods and reels for this trip so I can limit the amount of gear I bring but still be prepared in case some tuna show up. Here's what I have for rods and reels....
Reels:
Extra narrow Tanked Penn 501 with 50# braid
Extra narrow Tib'd/Tanked Penn 4/0 Senator with 65# braid
Shimano Speedmaster 12ii (2 speed) with 65# braid
Shimano Speedmaster 16ii (2 speed) with 80# braid
Penn Fathom 40NLD2 (2 speed) with 80# braid

Rods:
Tsunami Airwave Elite 661XHJ (jigging rod) lure rating 2-8oz line rating 50-130#
PCH 801H line rating 20-50#
PCH 801XH line rating 30-60#
UC GP80 Predator line reading 50-100#
PCH 741XXH line rating 60-100#
PCH 741XXXH line rating 80-130#

What would you pair up for a trip to Colonet to yo yo YT and catch rockfish / lingcod?

Swami805

I think I'd take the 501 with the 801H 20-50 rod for rockfish and the fathom 40 with the 741 60-100 for yo-yo.  Maybe the speedmaster 12 and something long for surface iron in case the yellows show up on the surface. You got an ulua or something long?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Quote from: Swami805 on February 14, 2021, 04:50:02 AM
I think I'd take the 501 with the 801H 20-50 rod for rockfish and the fathom 40 with the 741 60-100 for yo-yo.  Maybe the speedmaster 12 and something long for surface iron in case the yellows show up on the surface. You got an ulua or something long?

Thanks for the suggestions..... I'm bringing a 8ft spinning setup for surface irons

Gfish

How many rod/reel combos and spare reels you wanna limit yerself to?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

SoCalAngler

In my opinion on a trip like that you don't need a lot of gear. I like swami's matchup since you have the spinning gear for surface iron. I''d set up the fathom 40 with the 50-100 rod in case you happen to go out and look for early season bluefin tuna. I'd also take the speedmaster 12 matched to the 30-60 rod for vertical yoyo iron. So I would take four setups one to fish 30 lb for bait and rockfish the spinning gear for surface iron, the speedmaster 12 for yo-yo iron and the fathom 40 in case you happen to run into the big bluefin.

pjstevko

Quote from: Gfish on February 14, 2021, 03:10:56 PM
I'd like to keep it to 3-4 setups including the spinning setup.... So far I'm thinking...

Fathom 40 with the UC Predator    (yoyo/tuna)
Speedmaster 12 with the PCH 801xh.     (yoyo)
Penn 501 w with the PCH 801H      (bait)
Saragoza 10000 with the Black Hole CB 801H   (surface irons)

Rocket Dog

sciaenops

I would say you got it right w/your 4 combos. They make the most sense for 25/30, 40 & 50 topshots. Doubt you'll need the heavy artillery.

pjstevko

Quote from: Rocket Dog on February 14, 2021, 05:34:36 PM
I want to know how the EX Narrows work out....
Which extra narrow are you referring to? I've used both for rockfish out of Morro Bay and they performed great.....

SoCalAngler

Just changed my profile avatar. These are bottom grabbers that you will not see at the Colonet but there around my place in Loreto.

Dominick

Wow!  When did you get that fish.  What kind is it?  I might go down to Loreto mid-March or early April.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

Quote from: pjstevko on February 14, 2021, 04:58:08 PM
Quote from: Gfish on February 14, 2021, 03:10:56 PM
I'd like to keep it to 3-4 setups including the spinning setup.... So far I'm thinking...

Fathom 40 with the UC Predator    (yoyo/tuna)
Speedmaster 12 with the PCH 801xh.     (yoyo)
Penn 501 w with the PCH 801H      (bait)
Saragoza 10000 with the Black Hole CB 801H   (surface irons)

You should be good. I think it's mostly going to be a dropper loop/rockfish bite. However, if the YT want to play with the yo-yo you should be ready. When the boat stops I start with dropping a JRI 66 to get to the bottom first... the first worm gets the early bird!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

For dropper loop rockfish can i use the same shrimp fly rigs we use up here on the central coast? Or are dropper loops different down south?

SoCalAngler

Dom that's a grouper, not caught by me but on my friends panga/sportfishing operation. I'm not sure which grouper species is was but from the pic you can see it's not a broomtail.

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 19, 2021, 07:22:40 PM
Dom that's a grouper, not caught by me but on my friends panga/sportfishing operation. I'm not sure which grouper species is was but from the pic you can see it's not a broomtail.

it looks like a gulf grouper or local name is  "Baya", really nice meat, too bad the fish grow pretty slow and sportfishing have reduced their numbers lately.
The Baja Guy