Why is a DAM Quick Microlite Such a Tough Little Powerhouse?

Started by foakes, February 14, 2021, 07:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The year was 1960.

D.A.M. (Deutsche Anglerrate Manufaktur — German Fishing Tackle Manufacturer) was a company in business since the 1870's.

Their manufacturing facility was destroyed during the war.  And they had been rebuilding afterwards into a new, more modern company — great success was achieved with the very large and capable Super 270 spinning reel, along with the Finessa 280 series.

This ugly, old green 270 series was designed for the ocean, swift running canals, and surf applications.  It would handle large fish with ease in the toughest conditions — and would not fail or wear out.  The components were of the highest quality — bronze, brass, steel, aircraft grade aluminum, metal spools.  50 to 100 pound Carp, large Rays, Salmon, and other ocean dwellers were easily landed with this reel.  Dead simple, dead strong, over-built because that is the only way the German engineer's knew how to make a reel.  The Asian manufacturing model of copying and making similar looking products with cheaper materials was not yet born.

A new market opportunity was emerging in the world — particularly the US.  Servicemen had come back from the War, married, had kids, bought houses, had good jobs that would allow a little extra for outdoor recreation.

Smaller, and more capable open face spinning reels for Trout, Bass, Catfish, and many other freshwater species — had been popular for 6 or 7 years now.  These reels were easier to operate, could cover more water, cast further, and were becoming very popular with these new anglers with a few bucks to spare.

DAM needed to get into this market — or be left behind.

So, the task fell to the engineers — to come up with an attractive, capable, lightweight reel for the masses of fishermen.

What did they do?  Rethink the designs?  Come up with something new and innovative?  Cheapen their current offerings by using lesser materials and techniques?  

No, instead, they did what they were trained to do as master watchmakers and machinist engineers and designers —

Just take their most popular and capable reel (the 270 Super) — shrink the components into a smaller package.

Call it a Microlite 265.

Look at the similarities in the drive trains — brass, bronze, steel, over-sized main bearing, steel crank shafts, oscillation gears larger than most other reels main gears.

Had a couple apart this morning — and decided to share a few observations.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Craftsmanship like that is truly a work of art.  Those of us who have used DAM Q equipment of this vintage just look on and smile.

Frank

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Jawhol! Ze trains vill run on-time, unt ze Quick vill be ze vorld's strongest!

I can feel the sturdiness when I use my Microlite. No other reels quite compare. Prolly gonna get some 20 lb. braid and just use 10 lb. fluoro for a leader.
The reef and bait fish here are now mostly 70-150' deep and you never know what you'll get down there with mixed schools usin sibiki like rigs. The AJ's are a sometimes pleasant surprise. Mono. ain't gonna cut it with all that stretch.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 14, 2021, 10:59:06 PM
:(  Wish they made a middle model , a 30 size .

I believe the Finessa 280/285 is the 30 size version...it was the model between the big 270 and the little 265 Microlite. It does have a slightly different design...a simpler spool oscillator. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

elegance in its truest meaning
the simpler needs different locomotive arm
to reverse handle, correct?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: philaroman on February 15, 2021, 05:46:15 PM
elegance in its truest meaning
the simpler needs different locomotive arm
to reverse handle, correct?

Well yes and No there are models with removable parts that will swap from left to right using the same arm

Like this

and there are left and right arms for those without the  Gray mandrel.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

:D      I was looking for one that fits in the middle of this .
  One not so big and one not so small , one just right to fit my hand !!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 15, 2021, 06:15:30 PM
:D      I was looking for one that fits in the middle of this .
  One not so big and one not so small , one just right to fit my hand !!

Hows bout a 220 or 110 ?
A 110 I can Hide in my ol fat hand

oldmanjoe

Wompus Cat

oldmanjoe

:(   Looking at your picture of reels , you don`t have one ether...     :)

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 16, 2021, 03:36:36 AM
:(   Looking at your picture of reels , you don`t have one ether...     :)

I got quite a few more just gotta dig em out ........

Wompus Cat

oldmanjoe

;)  What happen to this family ?