Why is a DAM Quick Microlite Such a Tough Little Powerhouse?

Started by foakes, February 14, 2021, 07:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: Wompus Cat on February 16, 2021, 04:45:47 AM
This I Don't Got

But Roland does

http://home.kpn.nl/roland.lindenberh/index.html

The model 68 is one that grew on me. I have 3 & hoping Fred gets around to building one for me. as I've stated before, something about them, maybe their history, maybe their unique conformation. They are not reels that one can push like later model Quicks. The stem between the foot & reel is soft & easily bent. An issue with most Quicks when fished outside there range... Jeff

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 16, 2021, 04:16:49 PM

The model 68 is one that grew on me. I have 3 & hoping Fred gets around to building one for me. as I've stated before, something about them, maybe their history, maybe their unique conformation. They are not reels that one can push like later model Quicks. The stem between the foot & reel is soft & easily bent. An issue with most Quicks when fished outside there range... Jeff

They're a tough well built reel when used as designed. It's a shame they're not worm gear driven. I suppose if they were, though, that would put even more stress on the leg/stem. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

You are right Tommy. I have learned to appreciate them for what they are... Jeff

sandbar

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rivverrat

Cubby1973

Quote from: foakes on February 14, 2021, 07:11:44 PMThe year was 1960.

D.A.M. (Deutsche Anglerrate Manufaktur — German Fishing Tackle Manufacturer) was a company in business since the 1870's.

Their manufacturing facility was destroyed during the war.  And they had been rebuilding afterwards into a new, more modern company — great success was achieved with the very large and capable Super 270 spinning reel, along with the Finessa 280 series.

This ugly, old green 270 series was designed for the ocean, swift running canals, and surf applications.  It would handle large fish with ease in the toughest conditions — and would not fail or wear out.  The components were of the highest quality — bronze, brass, steel, aircraft grade aluminum, metal spools.  50 to 100 pound Carp, large Rays, Salmon, and other ocean dwellers were easily landed with this reel.  Dead simple, dead strong, over-built because that is the only way the German engineer's knew how to make a reel.  The Asian manufacturing model of copying and making similar looking products with cheaper materials was not yet born.

A new market opportunity was emerging in the world — particularly the US.  Servicemen had come back from the War, married, had kids, bought houses, had good jobs that would allow a little extra for outdoor recreation.

Smaller, and more capable open face spinning reels for Trout, Bass, Catfish, and many other freshwater species — had been popular for 6 or 7 years now.  These reels were easier to operate, could cover more water, cast further, and were becoming very popular with these new anglers with a few bucks to spare.

DAM needed to get into this market — or be left behind.

So, the task fell to the engineers — to come up with an attractive, capable, lightweight reel for the masses of fishermen.

What did they do?  Rethink the designs?  Come up with something new and innovative?  Cheapen their current offerings by using lesser materials and techniques? 

No, instead, they did what they were trained to do as master watchmakers and machinist engineers and designers —

Just take their most popular and capable reel (the 270 Super) — shrink the components into a smaller package.

Call it a Microlite 265.

Look at the similarities in the drive trains — brass, bronze, steel, over-sized main bearing, steel crank shafts, oscillation gears larger than most other reels main gears.

Had a couple apart this morning — and decided to share a few observations.

Best, Fred

Late to this post, but the 265 I'm rejuvenating looks to have a shielded bearing, where your sample is not. Is this a earlier vs. later thing or do I have an aftermarket bearing? It runs perfect, so all is good.

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

Some bearings are shielded —- some aren't.

When cleaning a bearing, I remove the shields, toss them in the trash.  They are not necessary if using a good grease or a 30/70 mixture of grease and syn oil.

The lower part of the bearing is pretty well covered in the frame cup —- and there is a shield that goes over the top side of the bearing.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cubby1973

Cubby1973

Quick question. The washer under the main gear part 100-381 just says washer spacer. One of mine was missing all together, Fred to the rescue, but when I cleaned my other one I noticed it was a brass spacer. Does this vary or did someone change it at some point?

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

Yes, someone changed it at some point, Jeff —-

The under-gear proper washer is a clear Mylar spacer that is extremely thin —- 100381.

A Dam Quick 265 Microlite has 12 washers of different types of materials to complete its proper function.

Although some may be left out, doubled, mixed up —- the best way is as factory manufactured and designed.

The factory schematics I posted last year are from Dam Quick Service and Parts Shop Manuals.  These give a slightly better than general idea of where the parts and corresponding numbers go —- they still mostly just call each of the 12 parts a washer.  The tech generally knows which are which —-

Glad you asked the question.

The real key to these DQ's —- is to fully burnish and polish any hidden friction areas such as the brass and copper bushings, inside of the worm pinion, the spool shaft, spool arbor, etc.

When the reel is cleaned fully, and all hidden areas are polished, plus all washers are in their proper location —- and worn ones replaced —- the reel will function as new, or better, when restored.

These are extremely well built, designed, and engineered Microlite reels.  No shortcuts, no excuses.

I am finishing up (9) today —- eight 265's and one 110.

There is still considerable work to be done —- and all will get new wrinkle paint and any new parts that might improve function back to new —- along with the proper modern lubes.

These reels are about 60+ years old —- the 110 is about 58.

The largest fish I personally ever caught with a 265 was a 12 lb. German Brown.  30" male, 4 lb. test, 6' Fenwick glass rod.

Reel had absolutely no problems retrieving line after and during the strong runs —- and the fish was brought to the net after about 12 minutes.  No stress to the reel —- it has caught hundreds of fish since then.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cubby1973

So this is not an original spacer? Maybe from another model, perhaps the 110?

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

Quote from: Cubby1973 on April 05, 2022, 05:17:51 PMSo this is not an original spacer? Maybe from another model, perhaps the 110?

Thanks
Jeff

Could be from anything over the course of 60 years, Jeff —

Who knows?

That doesn't mean it won't work though.

Sent you out (2) of these spacers yesterday.  One you needed, plus an extra.  Looks like you found the place for the spare!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

Quote from: philaroman on February 15, 2021, 05:46:15 PMelegance in its truest meaning
the simpler needs different locomotive arm
to reverse handle, correct?

No..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on April 05, 2022, 07:09:23 PM
Quote from: philaroman on February 15, 2021, 05:46:15 PMelegance in its truest meaning
the simpler needs different locomotive arm
to reverse handle, correct?

No..

Keith is exactly right —-

On some DAM Quicks —- a mirrored opposite slider-connecting arm is required to switch from left to right crank.

On others, just reversing the connecting block —- no extra parts required.

On these —- just pop off the cover cap —- unscrew the crank handle assembly —- attach it to the other side —- replace the cover cap —- done.  Don't even need to remove the sideplate or go inside the reel.

Dead simple and practical.

I never could understand why many spinning reel manufacturers would make 10 or 12 specialized parts to enable a crank on the right side.  Or...not even offer the option.

Mitchell is a good example of this type of thinking.  They thought that even the rotor needed to go in the opposite direction.  So bail springs, bails, gears, (about 11 or 12 parts need to be specially manufactured for the 10% of the reels that were for lefties).

You can notice the (2) sets of opposite and different sized threads on the steel crank axle.

These German engineers were very practical —- and decades ahead of the major competition.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.