bluefin news from larry brown on facebook!!!!!

Started by alantani, February 17, 2021, 12:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

hopefully this is all true!!!!

QuoteI just spoke with Tim Ekstrom and wanted to pass along this intel.  He said there is a massive volume of BFT south of the US/Mexican border being seen by private yachts and the long range captains traveling back and forth through the zone during their 15 day winter trips.  The concentration is between Colenet and 100 miles south of Colenet.  There are all year and size classes of fish.  The Mexican Seiner fleet began fishing for them on January 5 and captured their entire annual quota by January 16.  Come Spring time these fish will begin their short move up the coast and hopefully settle in around the Southern California high spots and San Clemente.  Get ready ladies and gentlemen for another amazing BFT season.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sabaman1

Great news! Thanks Alan for the intel!  Hoping to get out there as soon as the weather permits, maybe the fleet will see them on the Colonet trips. Just maybe they will be hungry for a fishermans presentation. That would be AWESOME!!!

JIM

MarkT

I've caught BFT a mile or 2 north of the high spot at Colonet. There was a boat already at the high spot so we stopped short... right on the BFT. Was way better than rockfish!  They weren't big but they were BFT!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

This is awesome news considering I'll be on a 1.5 day trip at the end of the month that is scheduled to fish Colonet!!!

Bill B

Good luck and tight lines PJ......I'm retiring soon and looking to get on my first long range soon.....will be looking for a boat and tips.....saw Penn is chartering an 8 day in December but not sure if I can wait that long....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Aiala

I've been fishing with Capt. Tim for 30+ years... anything he says, you can take to the bank.

Only 31 days till the vernal equinox... C'mon, springtime!   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

pjstevko

Quote from: Aiala on February 17, 2021, 03:29:09 PM
I've been fishing with Capt. Tim for 30+ years... anything he says, you can take to the bank.

Only 31 days till the vernal equinox... C'mon, springtime!   :D

~A~

That's great to hear! I guess I need to rethink what set ups I'll bring with me now the bft might be a possibility....

MarkT

I'd take 20# too in case you run across schoolies willing to play!  I've learned to always take a 20# rig on those trips.  I've had no problem landing 30#'ers on 20# that wouldn't bite 30#.  

A 'real' 20# rig with my Fathom 12 or 525 Mag works a lot better than just trying to tie some 20# fluoro on a 30# rig!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on February 17, 2021, 05:58:55 PM
I'd take 20# too in case you run across schoolies willing to play!  I've learned to always take a 20# rig on those trips.  I've had no problem landing 30#'ers on 20# that wouldn't bite 30#.  

A 'real' 20# rig with my Fathom 12 or 525 Mag works a lot better than just trying to tie some 20# fluoro on a 30# rig!

I'll be bringing a Tib/tanked 501 XN loaded with 50# for my 20-25# leaders

David Hall

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

stoked4fishin