TSI on Chrome as a protectant?

Started by SteveL, February 19, 2021, 12:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveL

Is anyone using TSI as a cleaner/protectant on Chrome parts?   

I started using my 1:5 dilution of TSI in mineral spirits or naptha on the chrome reel foot of Ambassadeurs where there are all kinds of nooks and crannies (where it attaches to the frame) for cleaning and protecting that area of the reel.   

From there, I started using a few drops on a swab to clean eccentric levers and eccentric screws,  handles and handle nuts.  Really takes off any oxidized oil residue.   

I am still greasing insides of  chrome rings and screws and screw holes, though I am tempted to wipe down frame posts, and the outsides of chrome rings with diluted TSI.   (Probably not the best thing to put on spools where the line attaches.)

While TSI is expensive, it is diluted, and even diluted a little goes a long way.  I don't think the cost is that great, and chrome parts are getting more costly and harder to find.  In many cases, I am using a foam wedge or pad to catch what drains off bearings and levelwinds I have dunked, so this would have been wasted otherwise.

I had been wiping down with a little corrosion-x, but it feels a bit more oily and has leaves a much stronger smell than TSI.

Any thoughts, or any suggestions on products that would work better?

smnaguwa

Anyone try Boeshield or WD-40 long acting Corrosion Protector?

SteveL

Quote from: smnaguwa on February 19, 2021, 01:30:33 PM
Anyone try Boeshield or WD-40 long acting Corrosion Protector?

From their website, Boeshield "T-9 dries to a clean, waxy, waterproof film that won't wash off in rain, puddles or mud. You can rinse away sand, dust and grime with water, while leaving the lubricant intact."

I really don't want such a film on my reels.   Maybe on a boat trailer, but not the reels.

I haven't tried the WD corrosion protector.  I seriously doubt it would do better than Corrosion-X.

Where I have used TSI on the Abu frames and Penn chrome parts, it feels dry but a little slicker than the bare chrome.