Chasing monster kings in New Zealand

Started by redsetta, February 24, 2021, 09:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Hi all,
Thought ya might be interested in a recent trip out to the King and Middlesex Banks and Three Kings Islands last month.
I'd second-guessed posting a report a few times, given many of you are doing the hard yards with COVID lockdowns and winter in full swing, but Rick and Logan convinced me it'd be a good idea.

I booked this trip after my son was born, but one thing and another kept getting in the way and delaying the trip.
He turned 16 before I actually got on the boat...

I love heavy jigging, so my aim for the trip was do that primarily while on the King and Middlesex Banks, with a bit of topwater thrown in when we were close to the Three Kings Islands and the Princess Group.

The boat is a 17m (56ft) custom build called Enchanter and is moored at this time of year at Mangonui in the Far North of the North Island.

It's a 12hr steam from here to the islands, and the banks are four hours further out, north-east and north-west respectively.

Bait was thin in Mangonui Harbour, so we headed south two hours to Whangaroa Harbour on the evening prior to fill the livebait tanks.

Whangaroa is a massive, incredibly beautiful harbour, with a slim entrance between high cliff walls.
The Japanese were planning to set up their Pacific base there if they'd won Guadalcanal, so there are remnants of US-built gun emplacements on a variety of strategic promontories.
Fortuntely for us, these guns saw no action!

It was a good 14-hour steam north from Whangaroa to the Three Kings, but it was all done at trolling speed, so we had gear out pre-dawn and were transfixed by the spread as we chewed through the miles.

There was lots of sea life - it's been a particularly active summer this year - with free-jumping marlin, a giant sun fish and several sizeable pods of pilot whales smashing bait schools at speeds high enough to send rooster tails off their heads.

Not long after sunrise, we had out first striped marlin in the gear.
It was only a wee one, about 65kg (~140lb), so he went straight back with a tag.
Another followed and thrashed a lure as I retrieved it, but failed to hook up.

A long-period swell at about 4m (12ft) was running out of the southwest, with a 30kt nor-wester cutting across it, so our first night at the islands was 'dynamic'.
Fortunately we weren't in our bunks long, as we headed out to the banks at about 4am the next morning.

The wind across swell made for some fearsome chop out in the open water, with faces up to about three metres (10ft).
But the fishing was hot and my only concern was not toppling over the side as the boat lurched wildly on the drift.

I pulled a 37kg (~82lb) king pretty early on, but he got a little nuzzle from a massive bronze whaler right at the boatside, so he didn't count.

The conditions were pretty testing, particularly on the foredeck where I was, so everyone else on the boat opted to fish bait/livies from the cockpit.
Tackle-wise, I was using an Accurate Obsidian 600NN with 300m of PE8 multi-colour X8 braid on a JigStar Ninja M/H PE4-8 rod.
I was dropping 800g (~28oz) jigs 10-12 colours (100-120m / 320-400ft) more than 200 times a day while out there.
Definitely not for everyone, but I love it!

Day two was more of the same, but we also did some deep-drops into 250+m (820+ft) for wreck fish - primarily hapuku, bass, bluenose and king tarakihi.
We pulled some truly epic bass from the depths...

I used my Shimano BeastMaster 4/0 custom with 600m of PE10 braid on a heavy Jigging Master rod and pulled this 35kg (77lb) hapuku.

More hapuku...

Bluenose were also prolific and are one of the finest table fish in New Zealand waters.

While the jigs produced the most fish on day one, everyone was into hog kings on day two.
The below pic captures one of the finest experiences one can wish for, I reckon.

Your rod can't touch the rail in NZ though and there's certainly no 'railing' fish here.
You'll get mercilessly abused (and the skipper will threaten to cut your line) if your rod touches it!

A few more examples of the fish taken on day two - all in the low to mid 30s (~70-80lbs).
They get over 50kg (110lb+) out here, so there's still work to be done!

The best thing about chasing big kings out here is that they all go back.
We generally only keep the deepwater species that get the bends and die on the way up...

One funny thing happened while stickbaiting back at the islands.
Debbie gave me a big, new Bonze stickbait for Christmas that I was looking forward to trying.
It proved irresistable to the fish and we were into a few more modest-sized kings to round out another big day.

One of them had a bit more fight in it than the others and really put the hurt on my rod.
After fighting me around the boat, it went straight down like a steam train and the rod snapped clean through at the base.
The thing went off like a gun and the rod shot down the line to the fish (as it was still connected via the line guides).
Amazingly, the PE10 braid held and - over the next 10-odd minutes - the deckie and I managed to handline the fish to the boat, retrieve the broken rod and get a quick pic before release.
It was a hugely satisfying moment, despite the breakage.

The rod company asked me to bring the rod in for examination and they reckoned it broke fair and square, rather than 'failing' as such.
As a result, not only did they warranty the rod, they also upgraded me to the top-of-the-line, heavyweight version at no cost.
Outstanding service from Composite Developments (aka CD Rods/Okuma NZ).

On the long steam back to port, we once again deployed the trolling gear.
It was about 5am and everyone was sound asleep - except for me and one other early riser.
All of a sudden, we had a triple strike of bite-sized yellowfin!
One dropped almost immediately, but the two of us landed the other two in short order and capped off the trip absolutely perfectly.

There's been basically no yellowfin in NZ waters for decades - the last one I caught was in 1988.
But, much like the winter bluefin run, they've been returning in modest numbers over the past couple of years.
To catch a bluefin in winter (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31609.0), then a yellowfin in the summer has been an amazing blessing.

Righto, that's about it.
I'm heading way offshore again in a few months, then back to the Three Kings next summer, so there might be some more stories to come - the gods willing...
Hope it was of some interest.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

MarkT

Wow, some real trophies there!  My best YT is 45# and I'd love to get one twice that size!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Holy crap, son, that's the biggest report we've seen in a good while! Don't be holding out on us, mate!!!! Well done!!!

redsetta

Haha, thanks John.
There were lots of pics taken (none by me), so I figured I'd share 'em...

45's a great fish Mark, nice work! They definitely put ya to the test!

Cheers lads

thorhammer

Oh, and it looks like you're well recovered the motorbike spill, good job!

mhc

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Bill B

Epic trip Justin!   Great report......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Trip of a lifetime!  Thank you for the fantastic report and photos.  It was the next best thing to being there.

We catch kingfish here in California too!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

redsetta

Thanks all - it was 16 years in the making, so I was very grateful to finally get out there!

Yeah John, it's amazing what good surgeons can do these days!
The brain injury isn't recoverable, but I'm grateful for small mercies.
Cheers mate

boon

Great stuff, looks like an awesome trip.... basically ticked every possible box for a 3 Kings adventure. Marlin, YFT, hog Kings and plenty of deep sea beasties.

It's very high up my to-do list. Just deciding between that and Ranfurly (why not both, right?)

Ron Jones

Those Kings!
My favorite eating fish, I would have a hard time sending them back down, fantastic to see such a healthy fishery.
Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

redsetta

Thanks lads.

Ron - As it happens, out of the species on offer, kings are pretty low on the table list. Topping it would definitely be King Tarakihi.
I'd never tried it before the trip and it's leapfrogged all other species, taste and texture-wise.

Boon - I'm heading out to Ranfurly in Nov, so will give you a rundown on the relativity after that.
As I think we might have talked about before, the trips are shorter as there's much less travel time - which has got to be a good thing.
I've only fished there in winter, but the conditions were hectic and I've heard summer's not much different, so that's a consideration.
Will find out soon enough I s'pose!

Cheers, Justin

steelfish

ayayayayay caramba !!

whatta trip, speachless amigo, please post all your NZ adventures anytime of the year
The Baja Guy

redsetta

Cheers Alex - will do.
Hopefully it won't take another 16 years to make the next one happen!