Alberto and Albright, please rise.

Started by gstours, February 26, 2021, 05:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

In trying to keep everything uniform the same line and leader are being used.   Other than slipping this mono loop seems to be the weak place in my life Alberto knots.

gstours

Maybe more of the load is being concentrated here at the mono loop, or the mono is being cut with the braid under stress in the load test?
   In this photo the braid was unwrapped some to inspect.   

gstours

Thanks again for everyone sharing the information and time for my help in the Alberto knot.
    I appreciate everything that is promoted,   Below is some of my findings..

gstours

This knot is very easy and quick to tie,  even when queasy,   It's good and trustworthy for its small size.
  It certainly has its place in the not hall of fame....... ;D.......
       Thanks again 🚣‍♀️

gstours

In my findings with tying the knot and testing I've concluded that most of you are right.   Thanks 🙏.
   It doesn't seem to add anything with more wraps than 6-7,   It makes the knot longer that's all.
      Butt I had to know,🤔.  Now it's easy peezy.🎣.   Now on to better things. 🚣‍♀️

JasonGotaProblem

Been using this basic knot for years. Never knew the name. Someone showed me once and i just rolled with it. How many loops depends on braid diameter. With 10# braid I'll sometimes do 15 loops. With 50# braid I'll likely only do 5. I like it because it can be tied in the dark sitting on the rocks while getting sprayed with waves with no issue. I could likely tie it blindfolded. I like a double uni or sometimes a blood knot but I like those a lot better when I'm sitting on a well lit couch. Definitely couldn't do those blindfolded.

One thing that's different though, I end the knot with the tag end going through the loop the opposite direction from what I see shown here. So its going through the same direction it first entered the loop. I find, and lets be clear I claim no expertise, that when it goes through the way I see shown here, it pulls tight easier but also sometimes defeats itself and comes undone. Where I never see that tying my normal way.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on March 08, 2021, 06:42:30 PM

One thing that's different though, I end the knot with the tag end going through the loop the opposite direction from what I see shown here. So its going through the same direction it first entered the loop. I find, and lets be clear I claim no expertise, that when it goes through the way I see shown here, it pulls tight easier but also sometimes defeats itself and comes undone. Where I never see that typing my normal way.

The descriptions of the Alberto that I have seen either specify the braid passing though the same side in and out, or claim that it does not matter.

If you go out the back door,  you will have only executed half a turn on your final wrap.   The point of the Alberto (vs. Albright)  is to have crisscrossing wraps, so I would expect that a matching number of wraps helps. The effect could be minor and probably depends on the number of wraps and the diameter of the mono.

However, the back door method might make it easier to slide  the wraps into position before tightening, as the legs will hold the bottom wraps open a little bit until you let go of the tag to tighten.  Maybe useful for tiers that do not use a solid sudden jerk to lock the knot in place? 

I go out the front door,  and the hard jerk is what made the Alberto reliable for me. But everybody ties the same knot a little differently, and uses different materials.  No reason not to go with something that you have faith in that is getting the job done. 

You should call your knot the  "back door Alberto"  :)

-J

Hardy Boy

I was getting worried that I would have to change the way I tied this knot ..................... turns out I don't. Thanks Gary for all of the testing !! You had me worried that my knot which has never failed fishing was still OK. For the record I go in the front door.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

In keeping with Alans Rules, i,ll not ask, who is a backdoor man? ???   
   Actually ive found a lot of fisher people are kinda a proud lot and of coarse want to think theyir knots are like the bosses.   Butt the strain test tells the truth and the truth hurts.    Testing is Quantitively a story there's lots of other reasons to choose one knot over another. ;)
  Thanks for everyones help and being kind. :-*

boon

I've arranged to borrow an IGFA-spec line tester so will be doing a whole load of knots in a somewhat scientific fashion. Mostly to refine my own knot tieing, but being open-minded about the performance of other knots has lead me to some interesting discoveries.

gstours

Thanks for the information Mr. Boon,   I'm very interested in your machine and setup,etc.....
   I always was sheepish about my test results and amateur methods.    Butt until you know you don't know.
    Thanks for stepping up to the plate.   I can't wait to see what you're doing ......... ;)
       Mabee SAl did this to us?   Thanks again.      Gst

AlasKen

Quote from: gstours on March 03, 2021, 08:25:45 PM
Tanks Dom,  your service may be needed in explaining to The court.  ;).  He didn't mean to hurt anyone.  :(
   But I'm glad to improve my stuff in fishing, with all of everybody helping.   
       There's a lot of knots and decisions to make before you leave home 🏠. 
Thanks to all.   

Can you help an Alaskan out?  I have been using a double uni to tie my mono to braid for halibut.  I am going to try this knot.  I am all for a smaller knot.  Can I ask what braid and top shot, as well as length you use?  I am still using mono for top.  I am not sure what fluorocarbon buys you.  Any help here is appreciated.  We have started going with smaller rods, reels, and line recently.  I am fishing southcentral waters, usually 200' - 300'.  We get some ripping tides so started trying smaller diameter line to get it to the bottom.  I am sItting drinking a cold beverage after digging out of 17" of snow last night.  Darn, I am ready to go fishing.   Thanks in advance. 

jurelometer

Quote from: gstours on March 10, 2021, 05:12:23 PM
In keeping with Alans Rules, i,ll not ask, who is a backdoor man? ???   

Just a bit of midnight creeping.  What could possibly go wrong?

gstours

Thanks to Alan nd others for making this possible,   And now music 🎼 whenever reading posts here.
   What's  next?  Cold ones w server?
  As for the last question.  I use 80#solid braid, and 100# or 80 for my fusible link.   We generally do a very short mono shot .   Maybe 10-20 feet for halibut,  the mono is better for handling the line when boat necessities,  and more abrasion resist.   
  The non casting type of fishing lends itself to larger and longer knots as well.
It's a known fact that I like a lot of wraps 🙈.   ;)
  The sp, fg, rp, and now the Alberto are good knots to know.    Best of luck to all the 🎣.

gstours

Sometimes you just have to cut your line. :-X