110N project

Started by sandbar, February 28, 2021, 04:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

Hello from the Oak pollen capital of the world,
I've been working on a 110N the last few nights. It seems to be a
recurring problem with eBay reels for me that the drag stack has been
compromised. It looks like I'm missing a metal washer and Asbestos washer.
I think I am getting better at cleaning the parts. I disassembled everything except the anti reverse. I cleaned that in place. I cleaned all the metal parts in lacquer thinner in the ultrasonic and then again in the ultrasonic in warm water with a little Dawn detergent. Then dried and polished each part with Simichrome.
The non-metal parts were cleaned in Original White Goop ala Tommy and a warm water wash in Dawn detergent.
My question is regarding lubricating
the bearing. I have been cleaning the bearing and soaking it in TSI 321. I make the mistake of cleaning a bearing and leaving it un-lubricated for a few days and rust stepped in. How do you guys pack the bearing
with grease? I've been trying to do it with my thumbs like I did with wheel bearings on my cars many moons ago.
It gets really messy. How do you guys do it?
Thank You
-Steve

oldmanjoe

;D    I put some grease in the palm of my hand and rake and push the grease into the race also ,  Old school ..
   yes you are missing some drag parts  ..
Yep at least 2 -3 more weeks of oak pollen to go .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Your just missing (1) drag part, Steve —

The asbestos hex washer — I'll send you one, N/C.

Nice job on restoring that 110N Microlite reel!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SteveL

Quote from: sandbar on February 28, 2021, 04:43:24 AM
Hello from the Oak pollen capital of the world,
I've been working on a 110N the last few nights. It seems to be a
recurring problem with eBay reels for me that the drag stack has been
compromised. It looks like I'm missing a metal washer and Asbestos washer.
I think I am getting better at cleaning the parts. I disassembled everything except the anti reverse. I cleaned that in place. I cleaned all the metal parts in lacquer thinner in the ultrasonic and then again in the ultrasonic in warm water with a little Dawn detergent. Then dried and polished each part with Simichrome.
The non-metal parts were cleaned in Original White Goop ala Tommy and a warm water wash in Dawn detergent.
My question is regarding lubricating
the bearing. I have been cleaning the bearing and soaking it in TSI 321. I make the mistake of cleaning a bearing and leaving it un-lubricated for a few days and rust stepped in. How do you guys pack the bearing
with grease?
I've been trying to do it with my thumbs like I did with wheel bearings on my cars many moons ago.
It gets really messy. How do you guys do it?
Thank You
-Steve

Typically, grease will not stick well to any metal with TSI applied to it.  TSI works great for level winds and bearings where you want to avoid grease.   If you are planning to pack the bearing, corrosionx or reelx  would be a bearing lube that is more friendly with grease.   

According to the manufacturers website, if you mix TSI with grease, it breaks down the grease to thickener and oil, which is not a good thing.  TSI applied to metal won't destroy the grease you later apply, but it just won't stick well.

Alan has bearing packers that accommodate a range of bearing sizes and attach to a mini grease gun.

sandbar

Thank You Fred
The schematic shows a metal washer that is located between the spring ring and the asbestos hex washer. This reel doesn't have one. Wouldn't I need that part also?
-Steve

foakes

You are right, Steve —

I was looking at the bearing shield in your photo.

Will send both.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

Hi SteveL
You wrote
"Typically, grease will not stick well to any metal with TSI applied to it.  TSI works great for level winds and bearings where you want to avoid grease.   If you are planning to pack the bearing, corrosionx or reelx  would be a bearing lube that is more friendly with grease.  

According to the manufacturers website, if you mix TSI with grease, it breaks down the grease to thickener and oil, which is not a good thing.  TSI applied to metal won't destroy the grease you later apply, but it just won't stick well.

Alan has bearing packers that accommodate a range of bearing sizes and attach to a mini grease gun."

[/quote]

Actually the first couple bearings that I did soak were in Reel-X.
I switched to TSI because I just recently received my first bottle and I had heard good things about it.
I didn't think to check the manufacturer's specs. How did you come to realize the issue?
When I first started on the reel repair hobby I was confused about everyone mixing grease and oil for use in bearings. I always thought that the two didn't mix and if it was okay then some manufacturer would be selling the mixture. After using blue grease alone on my first couple reels and feeling the stiffness, I started experimenting with just how much oil to put in the grease. I figured if I soaked the bearings, most of it would run out when I pull it from the oil and when I pack in the grease the remaining oil would allow the bearing to spin more freely. It would be interesting to see how everyone mixes and what ratios of grease to oil they use. Which greases and oils are compatible and which are not.
Thank You
-Steve

oldmanjoe

I fish saltwater  , i use Valvoline red grease and cut it with 2 cycle oil .     About 50/50
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

El Pescador

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 28, 2021, 11:45:00 PM
 ...  i use Valvoline red grease and cut it with 2 cycle oil .     About 50/50

oldmanjoe!!!!

Why the 2 cycle oil - cut the Valvoline red grease about 50/50??

Why not Reel-X   or    TSI 321??

Inquiring minds.....

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

oldmanjoe

My thinking about 2 cycle oil is if you can cut / dilute it with gasoline and it still can make a engine happy , it has a good barrier film .   
   IT can satisfy piston ring to wall galling , rod bushing and needle bearings , crankshaft loads .    Plus it does not rust
  Add a little grease to give it some body , more cling effect ..      For me it`s a win ,win

SteveL

Quote from: sandbar on February 28, 2021, 11:01:06 PM
Actually the first couple bearings that I did soak were in Reel-X.
I switched to TSI because I just recently received my first bottle and I had heard good things about it.
I didn't think to check the manufacturer's specs. How did you come to realize the issue?
When I first started on the reel repair hobby I was confused about everyone mixing grease and oil for use in bearings. I always thought that the two didn't mix and if it was okay then some manufacturer would be selling the mixture. After using blue grease alone on my first couple reels and feeling the stiffness, I started experimenting with just how much oil to put in the grease. I figured if I soaked the bearings, most of it would run out when I pull it from the oil and when I pack in the grease the remaining oil would allow the bearing to spin more freely. It would be interesting to see how everyone mixes and what ratios of grease to oil they use. Which greases and oils are compatible and which are not.
Thank You
-Steve

I'm not sure how exactly I became aware of the issues with TSI and grease.  I know it was mentioned years ago when it first became popular on this site, and I also tend to read the manufacturers website on these things.  Plus I've noticed grease not sticking well where TSI has been applied.

TSI is a lubricant but not really an oil, according to the manufacturer.  It polar bonds to the metal and stays put in a very thin layer with any excess just sitting on top.  CorrosionX is an oil that also polar bonds to metal, but Corrosion X can be mixed with most greases I've heard of.  It works well with Penn blue and Yamaha blue (maybe teal or aquamarine after the color change).  

I prefer Penn mixed with CorrosionX when I need to thin my greaseee.  If I remember correctly, Sal's preferred formula was 1:1 mixture of Valvoline red grease with transmission fluid.   EDIT:  Sal's preferred formula for spinning reels was a 1:1 mixture of power steering fluid with red valvoline.  He also used mixtures with less power steering fluid.  Others have mentioned him using ATF instead of power steering fluid.

SteveL

Quote from: El Pescador on March 01, 2021, 01:02:55 AM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 28, 2021, 11:45:00 PM
 ...  i use Valvoline red grease and cut it with 2 cycle oil .     About 50/50

oldmanjoe!!!!

Why the 2 cycle oil - cut the Valvoline red grease about 50/50??

Why not Reel-X   or    TSI 321??

Inquiring minds.....

Wayne

I wouldn't use Reel-x due to cost.  Corrosion-x is cheaper and would work just as well mixed with grease.  Actually any light oil suitable for reels would probably work to thin grease.

If you look back at Sal's old posts, I believe he mixed [EDIT: power steering fluid not transmission fluid] 1:1 with red valvoline grease and preferred this mixure on spinning reels.

Never mix TSI-321 with any grease.  It has been tested and shown to destroy grease.

https://tsi301.com/tsi321main.htm
An attempt was made to mix TSI 321 with different greases; this proved unsuccessful as the TSI lubricant apparently destroyed the viscosity of the grease and the resultant mixture was turned into a slush rather than a solid grease.

Attempt to lubricate gears with this mixture proved unsuccessful as the only thing that stayed on the gears was the TSI lubricant, the slush just ran off.  Apparently the TSI 321 will replace the grease but no mix with it.

SteveL

I will look a little more.  I saw a reference to a recipe given to another member by Sal for mixing ATF with red valvoline.

Here Sal mixes power steering fluid with red valvoline:

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 11, 2012, 12:19:22 AM
John, have you tried this?

This is Valvoline Multi-Purpose Grease (RED) and Power Steering Fluid, a 50/50 mixture...no cleaning addetives.
It has been around for a long time, this is the only grease that my spinners get.
I like it so much that I went back using it on my conventionals as well. You can adjust the ratio, I like it a little thicker on my conventionals....love this stuff!
Sal

Here's a reference to mixing with ATF:
Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on November 23, 2020, 06:34:35 AM
Sal passed his formula to me, valvoline Marine Grease and automatic transmission fluid, mixed until the consistency is what you need.  More ATF for spinners, less for conventional gear train.  The Marine Grease is the key for this, salt water resistance is what it brings to the table.  Been mixing and using for about a year, good results so far....Otherwise Penn Blue and Cal's......Bill

philaroman

why not Singer -- isn't that just a really thin/light synthetic machine oil w/ no additives & <$3/oz.?

Wompus Cat

I HATE Phodo Ghost Pix.  ;D

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him