110N project

Started by sandbar, February 28, 2021, 04:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

Hey guys
Back on this tonight. Looking for lubrication advice
on this assembly. The two metal washers seem to be
nothing but shims. Any lube needed here?
How should I treat the asbestos washer other
than not chewing on it?
How do y'all lube the spindle. I've been putting
a drop of oil in the open end. I'm not sure if that is
proper. Maybe I should be oiling or greasing the tip of the
axle it fits on.
Thank You
-Steve

oldmanjoe

The asbestos drag stays dry ,  all else i would use a dry lube like graphite  or spray wax furniture polish .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Milan S

Why spray wax furniture polish? Is he good for such things? What is in its composition?

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Milan S on March 03, 2021, 07:09:31 AM
Why spray wax furniture polish? Is he good for such things? What is in its composition?
I say furniture polish because just about every one has it on hand .   It is dry type of film that is left behind and it smells good !
      It works pretty good on the bail joints too  , does not hold sand like a oil or grease does . 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Milan S

It makes sense on bail joints if it has a lubricating effect.
An interesting solution. I never thought that way. I have to try and test.
It certainly has a surface protection effect.

I especially like the fact that it has a nice scent!  :D :D :D

Has anyone else tried it (wax furniture polish)?

Midway Tommy

Personally, although it does have a decent lubricating affect on door locks, etc., I would never use graphite as a lubricant on, or in, a fishing reel. I have spent way too much time repenting for the language I use each time I come across a reel someone used that crap on.  :D It's dirty & near impossible to remove.

I opt for ArmorAll, 2001, or any other similar protectant. They don't seem to attract dirt like most other standard lubes.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Brewcrafter

Graphite has it's place, but I cannot see where in a reel.  This is basically a raw carbon mineral.  You are using tiny carbon rocks as "lubrication" (think tiny little BBs).  And part of what makes it work is the particles continue to breakdown under load into smaller and smaller particles. - john