Removing a scratch Penn Plastic Endplate

Started by Wayne B., February 28, 2021, 03:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne B.

Not sure where to post this question. I have a Penn Monofil that has a small initial scratched into each endplate. Luckily (maybe) they are quite shallow. Is there any way to polish these out while not destroying the end plate?

RowdyW

If it is in a smooth part of the plate you can try using wet & dry sandpaper like when doing bodywork. Probably start with 600 paper and try to blend it to the surface of the plate. Once the marks are almost out then start using finer & finer grades of paper. Finish up with rubbing compound and then polishing compound. Small buffing wheels in a dremel tool would work too.      Rudy

Gfish

Rudy!, howzit buddy?
Wayne B., possible pictures? If not are they colored plates?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wayne B.

I have pictures but I don't know how to post on this site. The reel is a gray Monofil 25. It's a beautiful, collectible and usable reel, but someone initialled it lightly on both headplates. If it were a black reel, corrections are more forgiving. It's hard to find a Penn gray part to experiment on.

SteveL

Below the message box, click "additional options" then select "choose file" next to "Attach"

Wayne B.

Hope this shows the small initial. It is at the 7:00 position on the head-plate.

Wayne B.

Quote from: SteveL on February 28, 2021, 08:33:04 PM
Below the message box, click "additional options" then select "choose file" next to "Attach"

Thanks!

foakes

Dominick did an Ocean City with red bakelite plates recently — using the technique similar to Rudy's.

Shouldn't be an issue to do this as Rudy explained so well.

However...isn't the "M" or "W" like the first letter in your name?

I hate it when folks scratch their names or DL# on reels.  Just don't see the point...

Nice example of a grey Monofil.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wayne B.

That is really humorous. I never saw a W, only saw an M. By the way, my first name is Garry. I guess we see initials scratched into many old reel reels. But most often because the buyers were users rather than collectors. My wife bought me a Daiwa Millionaire (model?) in a plastic box in 1972. Guess what? I used the hell out of it. I don't remember scratching my initials in it, but I am sure I didn't.

Benni3

That's not a easy fix but if you can find the right color of gray paint you can wet sand it with 1000 fill the scratch with paint and wait a day,,,,, :( wet sand it smooth and then hand polish it out,,, :D this might take 2or4 coats,,,,,, :o this will take alot of time and if you don't have the exact color it's not going to look right,,,, ;) but you might get lucky,,,,,,,, ;D

Wayne B.