Camekoon reel? Anyone know if this is useable?

Started by williewiskers, March 02, 2021, 01:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williewiskers

My wife loves turquoise stuff. So to get her in the boat with me I have to maintain a steady stream of turquoise fishing stuff - which is hard to come by as you can imagine. I found this reel and want to believe its usable for inshore bottom fishing - simple up - down reel, but the price lends me to believe its, "break in your hand the first time garbage". Anyone know ANYTHING about this?

It says is a Camekoon, but the only thing printed on the reel in the pictures is "STACO".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multicolour-Baitcasting-Fishing-Reel-7-1-1-Gear-Ratio-CHOOSE-YOUR-MODEL/202821069109

(PS- I know Camekoon is generally lame, they stole the design of my friend Don Parr's patented Canyon Reels SP400 Slow Pitch reel and sell it on eBay under the name Camekoon NS300P)

SteveL

Looking at the color and the price, I would say that you would be much better of with a Kastking (also a chinese reel, but they have USA warranty and parts available).   The Kastkings are not bad little reels, and they do tend to cast well.  

They sell a Spartacus II in a color that is a little more blue for $46, and they have a "Sea Foam" color that matches what you show in the Spartacus Maximus (actually a fairly decent reel) for $99:

https://kastking.com/collections/casting-reels/products/kastking-spartacus-ii-baitcasting-reel

https://kastking.com/collections/casting-reels/products/kastking-spartacus-maximus-metal-baitcasting-reels-new

They also have the original Spartacus in the "Sea Foam" color for $48:

https://kastking.com/collections/casting-reels/products/kastking-spartacus-baitcasting-fishing-reel

The $99 Spartacus Maximus is closer in size to an Ambassadeur 5500 with the spool just slightly smaller.   I have a few, and they outperform my Ambassadeurs on just about every level, but they won't last like the Ambassadeurs.

If you buy a Kastking, you can get it from Kastking.com, Amazon or ebay.  Just make sure on Amazon or ebay that you are buying from the Kastking Company here (not bogus companies in china) where the reel should ship from NY or NJ.

philaroman

hmmm...  17 bearings in a $20 reel

steal the wife's turquoise nail polish & decorate something reputable

williewiskers

Quote from: SteveL on March 02, 2021, 03:37:49 PM
Looking at the color and the price, I would say that you would be much better of with a Kastking (also a chinese reel, but they have USA warranty and parts available).   That Kastkings are not bad little reels, and they do tend to cast well.  

They sell a Spartacus II in a color that is a little more blue for $46, and they have a "Sea Foam" color that matches what you show in the Spartacus Maximus (actually a fairly decent reel) for $99:

https://kastking.com/collections/casting-reels/products/kastking-spartacus-ii-baitcasting-reel

https://kastking.com/collections/casting-reels/products/kastking-spartacus-maximus-metal-baitcasting-reels-new

They also have the original Spartacus in the "Sea Foam" color for $48:

https://kastking.com/collections/casting-reels/products/kastking-spartacus-baitcasting-fishing-reel

The $99 Spartacus Maximus is closer in size to an Ambassadeur 5500 with the spool just slightly smaller.   I have a few, and they outperform my Ambassadeurs on just about every level, but they won't last like the Ambassadeurs.

If you buy a Kastking, you can get it from Kastking.com, Amazon or ebay.  Just make sure on Amazon or ebay that you are buying from the Kastking Company here (not bogus companies in china) where the reel should ship from NY or NJ.

I saw the $100 Sparticus II Maximus and it was too much for me to spend on a vanity reel for her, but maybe the Plastic bodied version. I like that its body is turquoise and not just sideplates. KastKing is a chinese company like SeaKnight and all the others. Some do enough business here to charge a few dollars more per item and warehouse them here. I have bought things from the brands official stores on aliexpress from Chinese and that portal is guaranteed by Yahoo.

Thanks for the lead on the $50 version!

williewiskers

It looks like the first generation Spartacus was renamed the "KastKing Crixus" and marketed as a "super light freshwater reel", due to using plastic frame, sideplates, no CF drag and not stainless or sealed bearings

SteveL

Quote from: williewiskers on March 02, 2021, 04:22:24 PM
It looks like the first generation Spartacus was renamed the "KastKing Crixus" and marketed as a "super light freshwater reel", due to using plastic frame, sideplates, no CF drag and not stainless or sealed bearings

The specs I see for the Crixus list stainless shielded bearings and CF drag (3+1).   

The Crixus may look similar to the original spartacus, but they are definitely different reels.  The Crixus uses a diffeent spool for one and has no centrifugal braking.  The Crixus and the original Spartacus both have graphite frames and sideplates. 

The Spartacus Maximus has an aluminum frame and handle side plate, with the non handle side plate apparently graphite.  The $90 Crixus has an aluminum frame, but it doesn't mention the sideplates.

The only reference I have seen to the crixus or spartacus being "light" is regarding their weight.  The stated drag is 17 lbs, but I would likely fish them no more than 8-10 lbs, and the graphite frame seems more than adequate for that.  Pretty much the same drag I would use on an Ambassadeur.

SteveL

Quote from: williewiskers on March 02, 2021, 04:13:16 PM

I saw the $100 Sparticus II Maximus and it was too much for me to spend on a vanity reel for her, but maybe the Plastic bodied version. I like that its body is turquoise and not just sideplates. KastKing is a chinese company like SeaKnight and all the others. Some do enough business here to charge a few dollars more per item and warehouse them here. I have bought things from the brands official stores on aliexpress from Chinese and that portal is guaranteed by Yahoo.

Thanks for the lead on the $50 version!

If you get the Spartacus Maximus, you will want to fish it.  ;D

Seaknight puts out models similar or in many cases the same as Kastking.  I have both, as well as a couple of the Tsurinoya brand which seems to be the manufacturer.  Seaknight cuts too many corners in assembly and lubrication compared with Kastking which does a much better job, and Tsurinoya is somewhere in between.  

If you go with a Kastking, I would make sure you get it either directly from Kastking, or from the real Kastking sellers on ebay or Amazon.  Makes returns and exchanges a whole lot easier and cheaper.

If you do the Aliexpress option, take a look at the Seaknight Sniper at $67 (link below).  It is the same as the Spartacus Maximus (centrifugal and magnet brakes).  Just be sure to do a  quick check for anything that neads a little more oil or grease.   The Seaknight Sniper benefits from TSI on the bearings, but with the Spartacus Maximus it seems to make no improvement.  Don't know what they put on the spool bearings, but it works good.   (I hate purplish lavender color on the Sniper, but your wife might like it.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847587166.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.4.23213139k9IHxX

williewiskers

Thanks steveL!

How well it functions is secondary to color - as long as it functions at all. lol

I have 66 fully rebuilt, serviced and upgraded rods and reels mounted on my ceilings ready to go from the Shimano Sienna 500FD the Senator 16/0 and virtually everything in-between. She has 7, lol

I do not need another reel for me... and I detest LP baitcasters for myself. I dont own a single one and she only has one, an Abu (also dont like), because I got it for a $1/reel in a bucket of $1 reels at a yard sale comprised of spinfisher and Z reels, so I had to take it.

boon

Quote from: williewiskers on March 02, 2021, 01:55:48 PM

(PS- I know Camekoon is generally lame, they stole the design of my friend Don Parr's patented Canyon Reels SP400 Slow Pitch reel and sell it on eBay under the name Camekoon NS300P)

You're kidding, right? Canyon is just another rebrander of chinese reels, Don got caught out lying about it years ago by Alan Hawk.
https://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/cny65.html

bhale1

wow, pretty compelling evidence right there :o
Brett

nelz

Quote from: bhale1 on April 06, 2021, 03:33:09 AMwow, pretty compelling evidence right there :o
Brett

Mr. Hawk is the "Ralph Nader" of fishing reels.  ;D

williewiskers

Quote from: boon on April 05, 2021, 08:40:26 AM
Quote from: williewiskers on March 02, 2021, 01:55:48 PM

You're kidding, right? Canyon is just another rebrander of chinese reels, Don got caught out lying about it years ago by Alan Hawk.
https://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/cny65.html

You think Alan Hawk is so smart. Guess you dont realize all your "American Made Penn Parts" have are produced in China and "some" are assembled here. That's been going on to some degree since the 70's. OEM manufacturing for a 1000% profit is OK when Penn and Shimano do it on an international scale but Don does it for a 40% profit and any you want to attack the small business building the better mouse trap because its built on the back of giants?

Here's what really happens. Don takes fisherman's input on things "the big" manufacturers dont care to listen to and fixes them. Then he specifies parts to be manufactured wherever he can get the quality he demands at the best price - sometimes those components are made here locally in NJ because he cant get the quality he demands from overseas manufacturing and less important components come from other places; every one is checked for manufacturing standards before assembly. He assembles ALL THE REELS and inspects EACH ONE before it is sold - nothing is "off the boat". His screen french doors are open to the street every day and he can be seen plain as day doing so. He OWNS each and every one of the reels he sells and stands behind them. As his a models evolve, he offers upgrade components to bring the reel up to current spec. Other manufacturers just want you to "buy a new reel". Shimano is secularly guilty of this.

You see here's a little personal information - Don and Beth Parr are my neighbors, like they live 4 houses down from me on my street. The entire first floor of his house is the assembly, service, testing and design facility headquarters for Canyon Reels - this is how I know so much about his operation. Over the 7 years ive lived here Ive watched the scale of his business grow and even his home expand to accommodate the need.

He's extremely passionate about his reels and while you cannot keep china from slamming together look-alikes using similar external OEM parts, the internal components will NOT be the same - that's not the chinese business model. Nor is each reel hand assembled and critical quality checked, lubed with Cal's and Reel-x and parts matched for mesh, alignment and fit

The Wiskers

boon

I'm not actually here to make the case for anyone. I think people can take the information that's out there and make their own decisions about things like whether Camekoon ripped off an obscure slow pitch reel or maybe Canyon is still just putting their brand on Chinese shelf reels.

philaroman

unlike forum-speak, kinda' expect an "official statement" to be written (or, at least, proofread),
by someone who can use there, their and they're correctly  ::)

why is a custom-designed reel that's hand assembled/inspected from "superior parts",
warrantied for ONLY TWO yrs.  ???  aren't there plenty higher mass PRC models that offer FIVE!  :o
how do you stand 110% behind ANYTHING  ???  is there an imaginary 10% sticking out in front?  is that the Marketing B/S?

just sayin' stuff & sticking to it, can be an effective, profitable business model...  albeit, not an ethical one
no one EVER admits that they flat-out lied, at least not without court-case

Robert Janssen

...and btw, he does not have any patents for any reels. None that came up in a patent search in any case. . Although i'm sure he is a real sweetheart anyway.