Mitchell Spidercast SC400/SC400P - Looking for parts

Started by Abombs, April 08, 2021, 03:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abombs

Parts probably don't exist anymore for this.... This is the schematic of the reel, and this is the part I am looking for here.

Part number 50 - 1065952 TENSION KNOB SCP400

I know it's probably not even worth the trouble.... I found this reel in my Dad's garage awhile back, cleaned it up, serviced it, and I have been fishing it regularly on the Gulf coast for the last 8 months. I have it on a 7'6" medium heavy rod with a really good whip, and this combo has been a fantastic casting rod. Even without any backlash device I can hand it to my girlfriend and she can cast it pretty far, no trouble. I can cast it 100 yards pretty effortlessly. It always seems to the lucky rod whenever I go out with a few rigs in the surf. It has less than 10 lb of drag, but it just works. It's lightweight, easy, and a pleasure to use.

I took my Dad out to the beach yesterday, and again, this was the lucky pole. Must have caught 10 whiting and a few ladyfish on it. But somewhere between the car and the beach the spool tension knob fell off. I have felt it come loose in the past and been concerned I might loose it at some point, but it never happened... Until yesterday. We were able to still use it for the day, but there is way too much side-to-side play in the spool without it. It will just cause more trouble.

Maybe I go find a random cap to put on it? Maybe modify a threaded cap somehow to hold the spool properly?

Either that, or I just decommission it and replace it with another small baitcaster.

Anyone know where to get parts? Or have any other thoughts? Thanks!

thorhammer

might take a spool shim or two but you'd like to think there's an Abu,  or Daiwa cap that fits. Where was it made? Point being,   if it is a metric size. Can you measure the diameter of the threaded piece?

Abombs

Quote from: thorhammer on April 08, 2021, 04:30:48 PM
might take a spool shim or two but you'd like to think there's an Abu,  or Daiwa cap that fits. Where was it made? Point being,   if it is a metric size. Can you measure the diameter of the threaded piece?

Yes, the outer diameter measures ~10.8mm.

oc1

Start watching ebay for another complete reel to come along.  It might take a while.  In the mean time, find another reel that size to fish with.  There are plenty of reels that will cast just as well or better.

Rancanfish

Haven't seen that one before.  I have three different models of Spidercast, two baitcaster and one spinner.  Getting parts is sometimes possible on the bay. 
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Abombs

I basically took the advice offered here to the T. I ordered one of these in the highest speed available to replace the Mitchell Spidercast. Now I can also use the rod to throw lures as well. So it's a big upgrade, which also means the Mitchell Spidercast might be decommissioned forever. Maybe I will find another for parts, or maybe I will spot a knob that fits.... I tried making a knob out of a rubber stopper, but it doesn't hold well enough. I am excited about the new reel, but am left feeling unsatisfied in my ability to repair the old one.