CATALOGO REELES STH

Started by cotywamboldt, March 04, 2021, 01:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cotywamboldt

Hola a todos. Estoy buscando catalogos de reeles STH fabricados en Argentina. Si alguien tiene le agradeceria si puede compartirlo. Desde ya muchas gracias

Dominick

Quote from: cotywamboldt on March 04, 2021, 01:08:55 AM
Hola a todos. Estoy buscando catalogos de reeles STH fabricados en Argentina. Si alguien tiene le agradeceria si puede compartirlo. Desde ya muchas gracias

Google translation: Dominick

Hello everyone. I am looking for catalogs of STH reels made in Argentina. If anyone has I would appreciate if you can share it. From already thank you very much.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

My Spanish is a little sketchy, but I'll give it a try....

Gracias un la translatiōn seniorita Domonick
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

jurelometer

For those interested in helping out, STH was an Argentinean fly reel company that was well regarded in its day, I am guessing around the 1970's to 1980s. The reels were also sold under other labels (Cabelas and Orvis?).  The cassette reels were popular. Instead of a full spool, there was a partial spool with inexpensive plastic cassettes.  If you needed to swap fly lines  for changing conditions, you just slid in a new cassette preloaded with a fly line and backing.  

-J

philaroman

I think I vaguely remember the cassette from my 1st Cabela's catalogue
(mid-80's?  ...Fish Eagles were still US-made IM-6 w/ wire guides)
read it cover to cover, even though I wasn't into fly or S/W...  wish I had kept it

Dominick

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 04, 2021, 04:19:10 AM

;D ;D ;D Funny even though you spelled senorita wrong.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Dominick on March 05, 2021, 03:14:09 AM
Quote from: Maxed Out on March 04, 2021, 04:19:10 AM

;D ;D ;D Funny even though you spelled senorita wrong.  Dominick

Seniorita is an Older ita.
Domonick is the Southern Mountain Region AZTEC interpretation of the name Dominick or a reasonable facsimile thereof.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

I've got a 1984 Cabela's Spring catalog (fly fisher guy with a pipe in his mouth on the cover getting a fly) and there is no mention of any Cabela's labeled reels of any kind, fly or otherwise, in it. No STH or Orvis reels advertised, either.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jurelometer

You might be right about Cabelas, Tommy.  Looking around a bit it looks like Orvis, LL Bean, and  and Cortland were rebranding though.  If an old reel is marked "Made in Argentina", it is very likely an an STH.

The last English language news story that I could find was 1990.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uZRfouzcBVAJ:https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1990-12-09-9003010644-story.html+&cd=16&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk, so    

It does not look like they are in business now.   ORCA has a 1997 catalog behind a paywall.

A bit of interesting design history: STH made a hydraulic turbine drag fly reel model  (the Sacconi, named after the founder).  The drag would start at zero and would ramp up as the RPMs increased until cavitation set in, at which point the drag would ramp down.   The idea was to protect tippets.   There was no drag  adjustment beyond changing the oil viscosity :) .   Kind of interesting, but my guess is not very practical beyond some specific applications.

Moderator:  Since STH was a fly reel company- should this thread be moved to the Fly Fishing/Fly Reels board?

-J