Custom Cortez Jigmaster

Started by Maxed Out, March 04, 2021, 04:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Had the parts for a custom jigmaster for almost a year. It was waiting for a good knob, and my wait is now over thanks to Alan T.

If I can do this, anyone can. Nothing wrong with using stock jigmaster internals. This donor reel will supply all the internals including ht-100 drag washers.

Start with a nice new set of Cortez Conversions Jigmaster sideplates and transfer over all the internals from the donor reel. Then install clicker assembly and onto the easy part
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

He's holding out on you. I've seen the finished good :)

Maxed Out

I use a small brush to put a thin coat of grease on everything. Grease on every screw and on all mating surfaces. The extra long screws will make this seat rock solid and no need for an antiquated bulky half frame for a reel with 10# of drag. This one is also getting stainless frame posts I bought a few years back from that guy on ebay. I bought him out when he said he was retiring. Anyways, now just add the spool, tailplate, and clamp....almost there

Maxed Out

A reel such as this deserves much better than a stock handle. This is where Alan Tani steps in with his 3/0 knob, along with a new red blade. Entire build took just under 30 minutes. Here is the rundown...Alans knob, Randy Pauly tib spool, Cortez Conversions sideplates, seat, shift lever, and clamp assembly, and my blade. No worries about color match, because everything you see was anodized by Cortez Conversions (except the tiburon spool). Luckily the spool matches up nicely.  Also upgraded to large #66 drag star. A dab of oil on each bearing and a quick flip with a finger and over 20 seconds of freespool. I will be fishing this 99 Jigmaster for albacore and will get it bloody !! Anyone can do this same build. Feel free to ask any questions. I'd be glad to help

Ted

Maxed Out

Quote from: thorhammer on March 04, 2021, 04:39:27 AM

....and your garage is a modern day promised land full of reels on rods. So many they can't be counted on a modern day calculator, but I think you need another Jigmaster John  ;D ;D

Swami805

That's a beauty Ted, Classic!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mhc

Nice jigmaster Ted - you make building custom reels look easy..... Wait a minute, it is easy with all the parts available here.  ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Looks great Ted, thanks for showing us, to good to fish with, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 04, 2021, 05:02:48 AM

....and your garage is a modern day promised land full of reels on rods. So many they can't be counted on a modern day calculator, but I think you need another Jigmaster John  ;D ;D

There is definitely too much treasure in that vault of John's. Seems dangerous to keep it all in one place, I think we should store of it for him.

Nick

ReelFishingProblems

Ted,

That is a fantastic jiggy. Look forward to some Albacore reports and photos.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on March 04, 2021, 11:55:11 AM
Quote from: Maxed Out on March 04, 2021, 05:02:48 AM

There is definitely too much treasure in that vault of John's. Seems dangerous to keep it all in one place, I think we should store of it for him.

Spread in four different locations, all under camera and alarmed, and two of them you couldn't find with a GPS and Sherpa guide. No kidding, the county administrators swear we are actually in the next county over. Our response is, fine, stop sending me your tax bill :)

Nick

Maxed Out

FYI, the blades with Alans 3/0 knob can be had for $60 and free USA shipping. At the moment I have red, silver and black, green and ice blue available. Send me a pm if interested.

Ted

Ron Jones

I think you should warm it up with some black rock fish here in a couple months before the main event!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 04, 2021, 04:55:14 AM
A reel such as this deserves much better than a stock handle. This is where Alan steps in with his 3/0 knob, along with a new red blade. Entire build took just under 30 minutes. Here is the rundown...Alans knob, Randy Pauly tib spool, Cortez Conversions sideplates and clamp assembly, and my seat and blade. A dab of oil on each bearing and a quick flip with a finger and over 20 seconds of freespool. I will be fishing this 99 Jigmaster for albacore and will get it bloody !! Anyone can do this same build. Feel free to ask any questions. I'd be glad to help

Ted
Mine may be antiquated but it spins for 12 seconds with no bearings...

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!