Mitchell 306 questions

Started by Steelyfinn, March 07, 2021, 07:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelyfinn

A friend recently gave me an old Mitchell 306 that needed a few parts to be restored to service.  This is the first Mitchell I've worked on (mostly dealt with quicks) and I'm having difficulty finding a proper replacement crank.  This is an old version -  serial #255,xxx built in the early sixties, short foot stand, and original bail type.

I found a 302 crank on the auction site that was also supposed to be suitable for a 306, but it's too long for this reel and it hits the bail - Even after adding an extra spacer washer and bending the bail some.  The new crank is about 1/2" longer than the original.  I've read here that a 302 handle will work on a 306. 

Will a 302 handle work only on newer versions of a 306?

This reel also had a different version of a line roller than the other old 306 reels I've seen.
What model of reel does this line roller assembly come from?

And my last question (for now) - How doe you adjust for line lay on the spool of a 360?  Shims?  Where?

Thanks for any help you can provide, and I hope my pics will come through.

Jon

Gfish

Looks like an old school line roller assembly, especially the bail part. Had a late 60's version, but donated it. The biggest deal in reassembling for people was the tiny key in the rotor to gear box area not getting lost. Recall that handi2 (Keith) new these reels well.
In most cases, the older M.G's. were better made. This one looks to be so...p
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Steelyfinn

Thanks Greg. 
The reel is actually in pretty good condition.  Sooner or later I'll find the right crank and give the reel a overhaul.

thorhammer

I'll check my stash but it won't be until the weekend. I prolly have a parts reel in the tote of Mitchells.

John

Steelyfinn

Thanks John.  I'm so new to these old Mitchell's that any info or help is appreciated.

thorhammer

I've been using old Mitchells since they were new Mitchells, and have a load ranging from the little 410 to the massive 488's. Fred and Tommy are great resources for the ins and outs on these.