Recommended Fishing Guides Alaska

Started by steelhead_killer, March 11, 2021, 10:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Got rewarded with a trip from the company I work at and it's a travel coupon.  So I can use it however I want as long as it's travel related.  Alaska has always been on the list.  I would like to get some recommendations from those of you that have been before or are in Alaska.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

AlasKen

That is a tough question.  First need to make some decisions.  Salt or fresh, or both?  Length of stay?  Fishing or site seeing also?  Type of comfort?  All inclusive or do it yourself?  Alaska is huge land mass and options are unlimited.  Time of year make a big difference for salmon.  Not as critical for halibut. South central Alaska has some of everything as far as species, both salt and freshwater rivers.  Southeast Alaska is my favorite for saltwater for Salmon and halibut

I am going to recommend concentrating on one or two types of fishing or you will spend all your time traveling instead of fishing.  It also takes some time getting comfortable with different types of fishing and locales.  Regardless of what you have heard or seen fish in Alaska don't jump in your boat or the bank.  It takes time to learn the technique. 

If I had one shot at it I would choose an all inclusive resort or pick a town and line up a guide or charter. 

There are several on the site that can recommend specific guides or charters.  I live here and usually just go out of Seward, Homer, or Whittier.  Sometimes I catch, other times I just fish.  I always see beautiful country.

Gfish

I went to the Goodnews River in the SW. Great fun. Bears were around but stayed away(too much Salmon avalible to 'em?). The Inuit village was cultural-cool. Saw Tom Skerrit being filmed with the ESPN "Flyfishing The World" crew(watched it months latter, they cut out the part with us going by in a jetboat, ha!)Was younger and loved camping out on the tundra, then. If I's to go back, it'ed be to a Lodge.
Timing is really the thing. July- middle of Sept. everything (5 - Pac. Salmon species, big trout, Grayling, Char) seemed to be in the river, except Steelhead. At that time, could be Steelhead were not that far North in their range. Cause a global warming, they may be now...
Best for me would be a combo trip at a lodge with both saltwater and freshwater. But how to choose?...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Hardy Boy

Come to BC and save 25 % with the US dollar exchange on your guide trip. Lots of good fishing and easy to get too through Vancouver. Just an option.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

scrinch

We go to Sitka (SE) every early August for silver salmon and halibut. And we end up with a few kings also, as well as a few rockfish and a ling or two. Sometimes we spend a day fishing the rivers for pinks and kings too. I can give you the name of our long-time guide if you're interested. It's pretty close to an all-in-one package now.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Andy, if you don't mind rolling the dice on the weather, Kingfisher Lodge in Sitka has a great reputation.  The accommodations, food, boats and captains are all supposed to be first rate.  It's a very fishy area, but the best fishing is usually in wide open water, so you run the risk of getting blown out.  It's very easy to get to with lots of flights on Alaska Airlines connecting through Seattle.

Maxed Out

Ok Andy, I'll toss my hat in the ring....I've never had to go to Alaska, cause I'd be flying past the best saltwater fishing on the west coast !!

Not far from SE Alaska is Langara Lodge, Queen Charlotte islands, (aka Haida Gwaii). Amazing scenery and phenominal remote saltwater fishing.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Hardy Boy

Really Ted has it right. BC has great fishing, lower prices and easy to get to (once covid restrictions ease) ask Alan and Ben they fish here a lot as well. I used to guide and a lot of our clients always said they wanted to go to Alaska , many did, and they always came back to BC as they preferred it. Really you save 25 % just with your dollar exchange.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

steelhead_killer

Thank you to everyone that responded.  This has changed my thinking and planning.  I don't know about you guys but its been over a year since I took any meaningful time off.  I don't know if I can wait for Canada to like me and my money again.  They will probably require the vaccination to go into BC.  I lived in Seattle and raised my family there too.  Always kicked myself for never getting to Vancouver Island for steelhead fishing, or any type of fishing for that matter.  25% savings on the money is a nice added touch.  Hmmm....
><)))">

akfish

Check out Tanaku Lodge in Elfin Cove. Great fishing, great people and great lodge.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: akfish on March 14, 2021, 02:28:14 PM
Check out Tanaku Lodge in Elfin Cove. Great fishing, great people and great lodge.

I don't know much about the fishing out of Elfin Cove, but the inner harbor there is one one the most beautiful settings that I have ever been.  It's almost worth the trip, just to see it.

Gfish

If you decide on Alaska instead, the run of Coho from mid-Aug. - Sept., would be a pretty good substitute for the Steelhead run. Aggressive strikers and fight like hell.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Hardy Boy

If you ever want to chat fishing in BC PM me. I lived in Prince Rupert for years and now Northern Vancouver Island. I also know the lower Island also.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

steelhead_killer

Thanks I appreciate that. I will.

Andy
><)))">