Uh oh... 488 roller clutch bearing

Started by pitchpocket, March 14, 2021, 11:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitchpocket

Hi, first post under fire...

3rd of 4 tekota 500 lc that I'm giving some overdue maintenance to. The roller clutch bearing came apart.  The race is stuck in the housing and it won't budge. All the others were loose enough to pretty much fall out. Any ideas?

alantani

ok, when you start pounding, you absolutely have to support the plastic case that the AR bearing sits in, or it will cause the thin stamped aluminum side plate to buckle.  i just got a set of these concrete anchors and have been waiting for the opportunity to try them. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNL9DSZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

This is becoming an all to regular problem. ;D

I am still trying to source a replacement bearing.
Cornelis

akfish

You can tap out the arb on the 700 and 800 Tekotas fairly easily. For the smaller Tekotas it's almost impossible because the edge of the arb is covered by the side plate and tapping will push out only the cage of the arb. The only solution I have found is to use a Dremel cutting wheel to cut the edge of the side plate to reveal the arb. You can tap it out easily. The cut is covered by the star and the cut does little harm.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

pitchpocket

Thanks for the replies. It didn't take much to blow the bearing apart, and it came out without any damage that I could see. I ended up putting the needles back, packed it well and put the reel back together. Seems to operate but confidence is low.

The bearing is discontinued at Shimano, but I found the replacement available at several locations and have it on order.

I like the ideas for removal with the Dremel probably being the most likely solution for me. A horizontal cut around the perimeter of the race might give the blade of a small screwdriver enough purchase to tap it out. Thought about drilling two small holes opposite each other in the casing to get a small brad on the face of the bearing, but that seemed a little severe.

If all else fails, can anyone recommend the TEK500HGLCA? I see mixed reviews.

handi2

Dawn at Smooth Drag has the clutch bearings for those reels. Also the Penn part 98c-750m works even better. It has a tighter fit.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

pitchpocket

Quote from: akfish on March 15, 2021, 11:23:04 AM
...The only solution I have found is to use a Dremel cutting wheel to cut the edge of the side plate to reveal the arb. You can tap it out easily. The cut is covered by the star and the cut does little harm.

Didn't understand this at first, but now I think I do. About the same idea as drilling the holes to reach the face of the bearing. Openings would be covered by the star drag and it doesn't seem to be a structural problem. Thank you akfish.

steelhead_killer

If heat and cold does not work this is how I get them out.  I have had success with a tool sent to me from Bearing Bad that works about 2x in 10.  The other way is to grind down a washer as mentioned in previous posts and lodge it inside the bearing and tap it out.  This works 3x in 10.  Last resort is dremel  tool just as explained below.  This method works 10x in 10.  You don't have to go very deep to give yourself some room to work on it.

Andy

Quote from: akfish on March 15, 2021, 11:23:04 AM
You can tap out the arb on the 700 and 800 Tekotas fairly easily. For the smaller Tekotas it's almost impossible because the edge of the arb is covered by the side plate and tapping will push out only the cage of the arb. The only solution I have found is to use a Dremel cutting wheel to cut the edge of the side plate to reveal the arb. You can tap it out easily. The cut is covered by the star and the cut does little harm.
><)))">

oldmanjoe

Just as Andy said  grind down a washer ,but leave two or four ears on the washer to slip down the needle grove than turn it a little to lock it in.
Than you have the washer to push out.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelhead_killer

Quote from: handi2 on March 15, 2021, 03:50:55 PM
Dawn at Smooth Drag has the clutch bearings for those reels. Also the Penn part 98c-750m works even better. It has a tighter fit.

This is good to know!  thank you
><)))">

Cor

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 15, 2021, 07:36:05 PM
Just as Andy said  grind down a washer ,but leave two or four ears on the washer to slip down the needle grove than turn it a little to lock it in.
Than you have the washer to push out.
This is the way I got mine out, plus lots of penetrating oil.     Once I got a "grip" on it, it came remarkably easily using two sockets.
Cornelis