Diawa driveshaft play

Started by Bellaireroad, March 15, 2021, 08:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellaireroad

Hello, first post here.  I have a couple of Diawa baitcasters....coastal 150s(essentially a Tatula), and a couple of Saltiga BJ100 SH.  They all have in/out play at the driveshaft ... probably about 0.01. This is not a loose handle, it is actual driveshaft play.
I dissembled one of the coastals, and under the driveshaft there is a brass bushing in the housing.  Between the bushing and the driveshaft there is a shim, very thin, that might be Teflon. I am pretty sure this is where the in/out slop is occurring.  It looks like the saltiga and the coastal/tatula both use this design.

I pulled the schematic for the coastal, and it shows the bushing but no shim.  Was the shim dropped in at the factory during assembly?  I would like to add a slightly thicker shim, and see if the slop goes away.  Not sure where to source this, other than trying to make one.  It is probably not a functional problem, although it is annoying.  Any thoughts on this, has anyone run across this before? If so are shims  available online?

On a sidenote, the level wind pickup rattles if there is light load, but probably just have to live with this

alantani

welcome!!!!  over time, most of us end up with a collection of washers from random reels and they just go into a junk box.   shimming the drive shaft is probably the best way to go.  one way to make shims is to order sheers of teflon.  i went to mcmaster.com and ordered teflon sheets at 0.005, 0.010, 0.015 and 0.020 inches thick.  i also have an assortment of paper hole punchers from amazon in various diameters.  in your case, that probably will not work.  if you can measure the inside diameter of the washer that would fit, i can dig through and send you some.  hopefully there will be something there that will work.  send a pm with the dimensions and your address and i'll get something out to you.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bellaireroad

wow...thanks so much.  I'll be more than happy to pay you for them!
I'll get the calipers out and take a measurement.   I looked all over for Teflon sheets, Couldn't find anything. McMaster Carr is a great idea. I have ordered from them before, didn't even think of that. Also the hole punch is a great idea, I was wondering how I would cut them out if I actually found the Teflon sheet. Thanks, Roger

alantani

No charge.  It's just going to be loose stuff, a stamp and an envelope.  PM with the dimensions and your mailing address and I'll get some washers send out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!