Tools to get started

Started by mytraveler, March 17, 2021, 07:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mytraveler

I have a bunch of reels in need of routine maintenance, and in some cases repair, but as a total beginner I need to buy all of the tools and supplies I am likely to need.  A topic like this probably exists somewhere, but I couldn't find it.  Thoughts?  Also, is there a list of which reels / brands are easiest and which are hardest?  I have mostly Avets, but also some Accurates and a few Penns (30's and 50's, but also a couple star drag Fathoms).  Most of my reels are lever drag, but I do have a few stars and only a couple spinning reels (which I never use anyway).  Thanks, Rick

Midway Tommy

You could start by thoroughly reading this, and a few other threads & topics in this category. Just about everything you need has been discussed there at least a couple of times.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

Rick, welcome to AT.com.....lots of good information in the links Tommy provided......one tip I have is to take lots of digital pictures during tear down....if you run into any problems just holler....plenty of guys here to help...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

happyhooker

Congrats on first post, Rick.  Best "tool" I've learned about from this site is a plastic bag or pillowcase--take things apart inside that have springs that can fly off.

Frank

bhale1

Rick,
Welcome ;D
The advice in the posts above is accurate....Simple tools mostly work fine,but its hard to put it back together without a reference (camera pics), or missing parts (springs), "dont ask how I know this"....Take pics every step, and dont lose those pesky springs....upgrade to nicer tools as the need arises..
Brett

PS..I do love my Wera poszidrve screwdrivers!!! ;D
Brett

Bill B

Come to think of it, start with any Penn star drag reels, they are the easiest to start with.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Donnyboat

Yes welcome Rick, sounds like you have some good reels there, always feel around in the old grease, for shims, before you start using any air presser, or you will blow them to the never never, as mentioned digital photos as you dismantle, then refer back to them as you place them back together, good fitting screw drivers are a must, plenty of good people here that are only to glad to help, good luck, & leave some fish in the ocean for us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat