Shimano Spheros 4000F clicking anti-reverse and drag question

Started by DolemiteSF0, March 20, 2021, 10:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DolemiteSF0

I acquired an older Spheros reel (1991 I think) and was wondering if the clicking when the anti reverse is engaged is normal or if there's a fix needed. I opened it up and everything seems to be in place, but I'm no expert. I captured a short video: youtube.com/watch?v=wVnmHslnF9s

Also wanted to ask if anyone has upgraded one of these reels with carbon drag washers and if it's worth it. The stock felt washers seem to work OK, despite some grime and discoloration.

philaroman

old felt may be fine catching undersized stuff for years,
but one serious run by a trophy, will melt it
definitely get CF, after you figure out your A/R

fuzzy schematics seem to show silent/disengaging A/R, AND your reel doesn't sound quite right to me
(also, under-lubed in general), but that's going by short vid -- not, reel-in-hand
maybe, the little spring popped out of its bracket (RD-3039, 3040  ???  hate those old schematics)
https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Spheros/SHIMANO%20SPHEROS%205000F%2891-30%29.pdf
https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Spheros/SHIMANO%20SPHEROS%204000F%2891-29%29.pdf

EDIT:
doubtful, but your reel may have SHIMANO's DUMBEST FEATURE, EVER!!!
I have a Biomaster GT 4000 (1st model?  ...before it was JDM Stradic equivalent?)
it has silent, disengaging A/R...  AND a bunch of extra crap to click during retrieve
I mean, like a half dozen superfluous parts/frame features: separate ratchet, dog, spring, more...
w/ no purpose whatsoever, other than to negate the silent A/R
(granted, it's a gentle, quiet, pleasant click -- not, obtrusive CLUNK of real dog/ratchet)

if your reel has that, you'll see it right on top, under rotor:
parts similar to dinky little dog, spring & toothed washer under spool, that make drag audible,

boon

Looking at the schematic I'm about 95% sure that's a sprung ratchet anti-reverse, and that's just how they sound. There's no ears or other mechanism to pull the AR dog onto the ratchet if the reel starts going backwards.

philaroman

bracket RD-3040 for spring RD-3039 + shape of cam/ratchet RD-3190,
IS the silent/disengaging mechanism you don't see/recognize
every Shimano I've seen, from late 80's on, has it
including models much older/cheaper than Spheros,
which is a downgraded Stradic in bigger sizes for S/W (biggest '91 Stradic was 3000;
"F" model, only -- later Stradic/Spheros are not same platform)

my guess is:
if undamaged, RD-3039/3040 are incorrectly installed,
hence no silent and they flop around making noise during retrieve, in general

DolemiteSF0

Thank you all. Super helpful. I'll definitely upgrade the drag washers.
As for noise from (lack of) lubrication, after a thorough cleaning I added light oil and reelX on the bearings and plenty of Penn blue grease on the main gears. Don't think I missed anything, but would appreciate suggestions. I could crack it open again if a pic is needed.

I suspected the clicker noise sounded like it was designed to be that way, and there is no additional resistance when retrieving with it on, but I just wanted to be 100% sure.
Attached is a pic of how it looked when I first opened it up (BEFORE cleaning hahahaha). The partially hidden spring on the right + other parts are currently installed the same way.

A few months ago, after a lot of searching, I also managed to find a pic of a Spheros 3000F diagram that is clearer than the PDF schematics, but I don't remember where. Anyway, I've also attached it so hopefully someone else can find it useful. All of the PDF schematics I've found for this reel are pretty low resolution.

philaroman

OK, Buddy...  only gonna try 1 more time  ::)  your reel has some version of these 2 parts:
Anti-Reverse Lock Out  &  Anti-Reverse Lock Out Spring -- !!!their only purpose!!!
is to keep the dog(pawl) out of the way, while cranking with A/R on
if your dog clicks, they are damaged or installed incorrectly, PERIOD!!!  ...GOSPEL!!!
if undamaged, try rotating them approx. 180* from current position, even if it seems counterintuitive
(that's a common mistake even I have to do-over, if I don't play w/ that design for a while)

philaroman

sorry, I looked at 4000/5000 size for part #'s
for 3000-size, it's RD-1888 & RD-2331 (actually, exact as 1st photo) https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-SPINNING-REEL-PART-RD2331-Symetre-4000RA-1-Anti-Reverse-Lock-Out/352794826900?hash=item522435d894:g:~zMAAOSwSbhdglAz

also, if you have 3000-size, you can use Stradic/Symetre/Solstace/Sidestab as donors
'91 Japan "F" model, only!  -- all same reel w/ different swappable! frills
even rear-drags are mostly same, except for drag, spool, shaft related parts

handi2

Yep it's supposed to have the part that keeps the dog away from the ratchet when reeling.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

DolemiteSF0

Thanks for the follow up! I will double check the suspect parts and report back. Again, awesome help from everyone.