Used 100 lb mono

Started by Bill B, March 21, 2021, 12:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

You could macrame some doilies with it, otherwise recycle. Most places involved with fishing have a recycle bin.
  Aren't you contemplating a long range trip?  Definitely get new mono, no telling how many nicks or frays are in that spool.  To save some $ in the long run fill it with braid and top shots of mono.  On my mono reels I leave enough room for 100 yards of mono on top so I can change it without much $ pain
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brewcrafter

Bill - I pretty much will add one more voice to the choir.  But a slightly different note.  Dump the old mono for all of the reasons above.  And - given your intended application of the reel (rock cod/bottom fishing) if I am fishing shallow, I am using one of my smaller old reels (Long Beach in my case) and mono is not a big inconvenience.  But if you are going deep, and using the capacity of that 6/0, mono (of any quality, new or otherwise) will become a hassle due to it's inherit stretchiness, especially as you start to get at some of those deeper depths now allowed in the Cali Regs.  Frugality?  I endorse that - go old school - Izorline Green Spot Dacron.  Is it a panacea?  No, it's not perfect but it is generally a LOT more affordable than Spectra, has none of the "stretch", and while nowhere near as "capacity friendly" as Spectra (larger line diameters) that 6/0 will hold more than enough 50# or 80# to do the job, which is more than heavy enough for the drags in the reel anyway.  I'm looking at 3 bottom fishing reels spooled that way right now - 114, 114H, and LB68.  Can be a little bit tough to track down at times, but Longfin in Orange usually has it in stock both in store and available to ship from their online store.  Not sure if Mark at Charkbait keeps any around, I will need to check next time I go to HB. - john

Donnyboat

I say, dont use it not even for a top shot, or leeder, not worth taking a risk on loosing a good fish, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Earlier this month, I burned 3 large boxes of mono I stripped off of reels in the last 6 months.  Tossed them on the slash pile.

Compared to everything else we spend fishing $$$ on — mono is about the cheapest thing we use.

And, one of the most important.

With everything else tuned and dialed in — I don't want to be "that guy" who makes lame excuses (I got cut off, the knot failed, the fish was a monster, etc.. — and the knowing deckhand just sez, "No, your line just broke because it was old").

Sort of like using old ammunition — yeah, it will work 9 out of 10 times — but I expect "0" defects when the firearm is needed.

Our fishing gear is just the "toolbox" we use for pleasure and hopefully a little meat for the table.  The last thing we need in the back of our mind — is the uncertainly or hope that it doesn't break — when a big fish is on.

Keep your blades sharp, your powder dry, and your mono fresh.

Just my opinion.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

QuoteEarlier this month, I burned 3 large boxes of mono I stripped off of reels in the last 6 months.  Tossed them on the slash pile.

WOW? Fred
I would think burning stuff like that out in the open in California  in California would be a Major NO NO with all the Chemicals being released in the Air from the combusting of it .
Or  you probably have an OSHA/EPA APPROVED INCINERATOR. ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Keta on March 21, 2021, 11:10:09 PM
Here's how I look at it, is it worth loosing a fish to save a few dolars? 

Fish of a lifetime on one side, saving a few bucks on the other...

I agree with Lee.  I don't get the opportunity to fish as often as I would like, yet.  So, I just don't take the chance.

Andy
><)))">

oldmanjoe

8)  On another note  Frugal joe  will repurpose the mono  . I do tie nets , so the 100 # mono would be use for braille lines and lead lines ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 22, 2021, 04:01:55 PM
QuoteEarlier this month, I burned 3 large boxes of mono I stripped off of reels in the last 6 months.  Tossed them on the slash pile.

WOW? Fred
I would think burning stuff like that out in the open in California  in California would be a Major NO NO with all the Chemicals being released in the Air from the combusting of it .
Or  you probably have an OSHA/EPA APPROVED INCINERATOR. ;D

Everything is weird in California, Henry —

😩😩😩  😄😄😄

We live in an area of California that is more like other more sensible states — and we are rural, remote, and able to burn about 5 months out of the year.

Plus, my neighbor's Dodge diesel puts out more emissions in the first 5 minutes then 20 boxes of mono that are vaporized by intense heat in 90 seconds.

And, I was not even going to mention the criminally irresponsible non/actions of our Forest Service and Cal-Fire in not responding effectively when the Creek Fire was only a small plume of smoke on Friday, 9/04/20.  They did one ineffective retardant drop from altitude — then the ground crews were told to "bed down" for the night — and they would address the fire in the morning.

This was in an area with daily predictable upslope and downslope wind patterns.  The next morning, the fire was 500 acres, by 10:00 it was 2000, by noon it was 10,000.  It destroyed 380,000 acres of forest, incinerated 880 homes, and was not under control until nearly 4 months later — 12/24/20.

We burn only safely, with precautions over and above norms, and am done listening to the over-educated yuppie experts that our government uses to pass environmentally-friendly regulations.  Every product with even a smidgen of plastic components that is sold in California — must carry a warning label that it is dangerous to your health and may cause cancer.  That is nearly everything...

My boxes of mono were gone in a little over a minute.  And no birds or small animals would be entangled and die in these snarls and coils of mono.

Common sense needs to prevail.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

There is no good way to dispose of it.  There are toxic cyanide fumes if it is burned.  It cannot be recycled cost effectively.  It's a seagull death trap in the landfill.  The only thing that could be worse is throwing it into the ocean.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on March 22, 2021, 05:30:45 PM

We burn only safely, with precautions over and above norms, and am done listening to the over-educated yuppie experts that our government uses to pass environmentally-friendly regulations.  Every product with even a smidgen of plastic components that is sold in California — must carry a warning label that it is dangerous to your health and may cause cancer.  That is nearly everything...

My boxes of mono were gone in a little over a minute.  And no birds or small animals would be entangled and die in these snarls and coils of mono.

Common sense needs to prevail.

Best, Fred

Here, Here! Not to mention the fact that the rest of us throughout this country have to pay additional for for all those CA mandated requirements & labels because most companies refuse, or can't afford, to manufacture multiple facets of the same products.  :(

Where I come from anyone living outside the city limits is allowed to have a burn barrel (no burn permit required with a mesh cover) and can burn anything they want, which I do regularly. It's a pain in the rear obtaining a burn permit, especially since they have restrictions, but I do for our bigger burns each spring.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

Boy did I open a can of worms......Im going to take the easy way out on this topic.... ;D  When I take a costly trip. i.e. pending long range or expect to get into a fish of a lifetime like Sacramento River salmon and sturgeon, I use new line....always.  Now the frugal side of me just hates to throw out 500 yards of 100 lb mono......personally I don't really expect to fish 100 lb mono for rock fish....just too thick for those deep currents, and Im sure the deckhands will give grief for using it.

Now I did transfer the line to a 114HLW, I was surprised that it filled the wide aluminum version to the same level as the old cast bronze spool.  The line itself "felt" good, not salty, rough, or kinked......butt it was curled up tighter than a 1980's perm, we used to see in high school...:o  So bad, I could barely tie a knot in it, the line was so curled, so now I would consider this pretty useless.

In the end, I will probably transfer it over to an empty spool and use it for other non-fishing uses.....after all it is 100 lb mono, and I have enough to fill a 114HLW.  :D   Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Hardy Boy

I use old mono like that for leaders for deep dropping. Its more than strong enough, I don't care if it gets crewed off by a dog fish. If I'm worried, I snell up a leader, hook it too the vice and pull hard to test. I have old 100 lb mono that I cant break by pulling way harder than the drag level I ever fish at so ....................... no worries fish away.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd