garcia mitchell...mitchell 304...question

Started by joe k, March 23, 2021, 12:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe k

are the garcia mitchell 304 ..mitchell 304  parts interchangeable..new at this whole garcia ..mitchell thing..just found a box  ..and inside of rotor cup looks to be different on one in middle pic...and ..the oscillatting gear in middle of handle drive gear should be removeable..any type of info on these would be greatly appreciated ,,now  i already made mistake on  a 300  I posted about ..just a learning curve in my upcoming retirement...Joe

happyhooker

I'll be interested in whatever replies come in too.  I'm thinking no complete interchangeability if for no other reason than I believe some models had level wind gearing and some didn't.  There are folks on this site who will have a better grasp than I would.

Frank

foakes

Most of the parts are interchangeable, Joe —

Likely, 95%?

A few of the 300 parts will also fit on these reels.

There are the earliest versions of the old C.A.P. round body where parts are different.  Some of these earliest versions from the early 50's have the half-bails & pillar-arbor spools.  Drag nuts are different & cranks.

There is a fairly rare 304S — and also fairly rare 314/315.  These last two have the level-matic (planamatic) oscillation, which is a good feature.

The parts do interchange on the Mitchell and Garcia/Mitchell reels.

I might have 350-450 Mitchell's in old crates — of which about 40 are round bodied.

Best,Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Other than the planamatic gearing I've never come across any full bail Caps/304s where parts won't interchange. It appears to me me, for some strange & unknown reason, someone ground the ridge/lip off that middle rotor's trip lever stop.  ??? I don't think it wore off.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

joe k

sorry for late reply back ..been on road working...the one in middle seems to have smaller rotor aluminum gear insert..?..shafts fit but why smaller than other 2 just gets gets me wondering...along with why would someone grind down..or was made like that...just curious...

Midway Tommy

If it was made like that it would be black like the rest of the interior of the cup, or at least black remnants there. .

Quotesmaller rotor aluminum gear insert.
By that do you mean click gear?

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

What is the difference you guys are talking about?  The counterbalance cut-outs?

Also, your crosswind cam is scarred.  That looks like something you would be able to feel and hear.  There must be a bur somewhere.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on March 31, 2021, 06:01:47 AM
What is the difference you guys are talking about?  The counterbalance cut-outs?

It's not a counter balance. It's the trip lever pivot connection point & stop.

Photo from Chester's tutorial.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

joe k

I'm mentioning the cast insert the the spool spindle goes through in rotor with gear on bottom..the one in middle pic ..smaller ..?

oc1

I see what you're saying now.  They look the same until measuring.

So, the axel has to be a different size, which means the cross-wind slide has to be a different size too

Gfish

Quick question: why pillar-arbor spools on the old CAP reels? Would the line dry better?

The "Mitchell Reel Museum" website has good info., such as when did the 304 add Garcia to the Mitchell on the sideplates.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on April 01, 2021, 02:14:56 AM
Quick question: why pillar-arbor spools on the old CAP reels? Would the line dry better?

The "Mitchell Reel Museum" website has good info., such as when did the 304 add Garcia to the Mitchell on the sideplates.

Just a hold over from La Canne a Peche, the predecessor of Carpono & Pons (CAP). There were a lot of pillared spools back in the silk & braided nylon line days prior to mono. It was thought the line dried better with an air space. The pillared spool became a slotted arbor spool and the aluminum "C.A.P. Serrage" plate went away in 1954.

A yellow & black "a garcia product" sticker was added to the Mitchell Cap in 1954. 304 was added to Mitchell Cap in 1955 but still sported the yellow & black "a garcia product" sticker.  Garcia was added and Cap was removed in 1956 but C.A.P. remained on the right(off) side. C.A.P. was removed from the right (off) side in 1958.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE