5 minutes 40 seconds of freespool !!!!!!!

Started by alantani, April 09, 2009, 04:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

you guys are among the best, so someone here has to be able to peg this one. what is this, and what did i do to make this spool spin for 5 minutes and 40 seconds? just so you know i was not cheating, the drag is set to 20 pounds at strike. it is ready to fish, just as it sits. i'll be back tomorrow to see what kind of answers we get. alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

it's that new lube that i'm using......

so here's what i did with the reel. the frame is a topless tiburon frame. the handle is a 6/0 kolekar. the pressure plate bearing and right side plate bearing were opened up, packed with grease, reshielded and reinstalled, the belleville stack was switched out from "()()" to "((())" to increase the drag range and the original drag pressure plate was shimmed. i do this to all of the tld 20 and 30 two speeds. the handle up grade is great and the increased drag range is usually something you can't take full advantage of anyway, but none of these things affect freespool time. the upgrade took me 1 hour, start to finish.

to get these extreme freespool times, i cleaned out the spool bearings with carb cleaner and compressed air, then lubed them with xtreme reel +. normally i would then "blue print" the reel by installing a bearing sleeve cut from brass tubing. instead in found a washer from daiwa (part #F94-7102) and used it to shim the spool. i'll have to redo the tutorial.

the take home message is this.... the aftermarket frame is optional. if you're going to fish this reel with 60# mono and a topshot of 18#'s (30%), then it is not needed. personally, i really like the aftermarket frames and there is virtually no change in weight. the $20 aftermarket pressure plate is also not needed. shimming it with a $1 metal washer or 3 layers of masking tape keep it trued up. changing the belleville stack from "()()" to "((())" will increase the drag range to at least 24#'s at strike for an additional 30 cents. and last are the spool bearings. if you clean them out and lube with this new teflon lube, you don't need fancy ceramic bearings. that's right, regular, old fashioned abec 5 stainless steel bearings did this.

regarding this specific reel, it was upgraded with the frame and handle because that's just what the owner wanted. hey, it's a fishing reel! it doesn't always have to make sense!

alantani

the issue of corrosion resistance is the million dollar question. i know two things. i know that this dry teflon lube makes spools spin forever. i also know that my old standard, corrosion x, will fail over time. i am told by the manufacturer that the corrosion resistance is excellent. if he is even half correct about the corrosion resistance, then i can couple that with the spin properties that are 10 times better. the benefits would outweigh the risks.

and yes, i am taking a risk. i have only worked with it for the last 2 months and personally do not know how well this new lube will hold up. if it last a year, then it will match corrosion x. i have serviced about 200 reels in the last two months and have used this lube in all the bearings. the results are dramatic. however, if i start hearing about bearing failures, then i will have to put out 10 times the effort to DEmote this product as i have been doing now to PROmote it. oh, and what's the risk? figure two bearings per reel at $10 each, 100 reels a month for one year is $24,000. if everyone of these bearings failed on the first fishing trip, then, yes, i will make good on that loss. i'm not worried, though. these guys have been around for at least a couple of years. i've only seen one complaint. i tried to get in touch but never heard from him.

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/f...eel-sucks.html

wouldn't it be funny as hell if this really was the ticket? alan

alantani

Quote from: Bait O' Eggs;2493145I dont know what you did, but I am sure it involved some super lube of some sort.  But please answer another question for me, every post you make an effort to talk about freespool. Is there something I am missing? Educate me please

no, you're not missing anything. this only matters when you're chasing large tuna from a stationary platform and you're trying to flyline a bait. 120 seconds of freespool had been the "holy grail" of the san diego long range fishermen. we just blew right past that!!!!!!!!! some guys can take a tld 30 two speed, pin on a sardine, and cast 25 yards. the captain of the spirit of adventure can do just that. we call him "captain show off" and it is these longer casts that get him bit more consistently than anyone else. it is just as important when fishing a "50 class" or 80 class" reel against cow yellowfin. the ability to flyline a bait can mean the difference between hooking up and just soaking a bait all day.

and then there are times when i do something just because i can!

alantani

Hi Alan, Just wanted to let you know that I got a bottle of xtreme reel+ and the stuff is definately incredible.  I haven't had the time to gut any reels yet, but I did sample it on a bail bearing on one of my spinning reels.  Before the lube the bearing would stop almost instantly when spun.  After the xtreme reel, it spins for over 5 seconds.  And this is a tiny bearing with no weight from a spool.  Before the xtreme reel I also tried quantum hot sauce and mobil 1 synthetic motor oil with minimum results on the same bearing.  Great stuff!  Charlie

ez2cdave

Alan,

Is it still spinning ?

Is that a reel or a "gyroscope" ?

Yes, I know it's an old thread . . .

Happy New Year & Tight Lines !

Observer

Yes, interested in hearing about a follow up.  I am attempting to improve my freespool as well on a different reel, and am currently using TSI 321 on the bearings.  If this teflon lube is what makes the big difference, I'll have to pick some up.

alantani

teflon never lasted.  that's why we use TSI.

Joao Tavares

Hi
I learned about this TSI oil from Alan's posts about servicing reels.

I have been using it on bearings and all sorts of moving parts that need lots of free movement and are not directly exposed to corrosion elements.

This stuff is like no other I have tried before. The only drawback for me is the cost of shipping to my country.

But the oil itself is worth every cent.
J

Alto Mare

Yep! Well with it!
I'm noticing wherever you apply it, it gets better with usage.
Great stuff!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sabaman1

So are teflon based lubes not recommended for spool bearings?
JIM

AJ

Sorry no one got back to you.  Teflon has a reputation for great free spool when first applied But quickly "goes away" YMMV.  TSI 321 tends to stick around longer, giving protection and lubrication far longer then TeflonĀ®.  Hope this helps.

Hytekrednek

On average, about how long does tsi321 last in a spool bearing, either shielded or open, in a bass reel before needing to have more 321 added? I assume it gets slung out eventually to the point of needing another dose of 321

alantani

TSI 301 is great stuff, but it was a hassle because of the solvent.  i switched over to TSI 321 years ago.  it's the straight ester lubricant and it works great without the hassle.  what i've found is that TSI 321 will easily last for a year.  and even if the bearing does sustain corrosion damage, these rough bearings will still spin like crazy, even a year later.  it's great stuff.