alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Spinning reels for distance casting
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
April 13, 2021, 02:15:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spinning reels for distance casting  (Read 798 times)
happyhooker

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 02:22:58 PM »

How many spinning reels are gonna hold 300+ yds. of any heavy line?

Frank
philaroman
Photo Group

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 03:09:22 PM »

w/ 50-65lb braid that Swami wants to use?  ...many upon many
should be something decent in 14 oz. ballpark, maybe?
mbg60

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 04:47:36 AM »

Since you're asking about getting distance with spinning reels I'll give up what I have been using for the last 30 years.  Largest fish caught by me with a spinner from the shoreline is a 54lb GT/Ulua.  I have seen Ulua brought up from shore on spinners in excess of 100lbs. 

The reels I have been using are Daiwa SS9000, Shimano Stella(5000-20000) - not really distance casters but decent, Shimano SpinPower Power Aero, and Shimano Ultegra 14000. These reels are attached to rods in the 13-14 1/2' range.  All rods are equipped with Breakaway Cannon's mounted at 90 degrees to the reel.  I usually cast 40-60lb hollow core with the appropriate sized wind-on leader.  Engaging in actual fishing I can get about 50-70 yards with a small bait and lead up to 8oz.  I'm not a good caster so I'm positive a good caster could squeeze out another 20 yards using this gear.

The Shimano Ultegra can cast pretty far using 5-8oz lead and 60lb hollow core. The line lay is excellent.  If you know how to fight smaller sized fish from shore the Ultegra will handle. I haven't caught any Ulua over 20lbs with this reel yet but I have landed large stingrays and small 40lb sharks. I would like to try a Shimano Aero Technium but they are hard to find.

The SpinPowers can cast pretty far too but the largest spools available are good only up to 40lb hollow, I've had the reel emptied on runs from larger fish when using 60lb hollow.  Spooky.  I've casted lead up to 9oz with these reels.

The Daiwa SS is an older reel and has brought up Ulua up to 21lbs.  Can't cast as far the other reels I own.  I used the Daiwa Emblem's in the past but have bent the spool shafts so I stay away from them.

Stella needs no summary. Casting distance achieved by ME is somewhere between 15-20 yards LESS than the Ultegra with similar sized lines.  I load 60lb hollow and cast lead between 6-9 oz using the 18000/20000.  I use 40lb hollow on the 14000.  These reels will handle any shore fish here in Hawaii, make sure your ROD is up to the task too. 

Hope this gives you some ideas or, at least, a starting point.
Swami805

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 11:51:52 AM »

Thanks for that, plenty to chew on
mbg60

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 06:09:42 PM »

The rods I use are CTS S8 customs, CCP, Daiwa Saltiga Ballistic (all 3 models), old Cosmotech (4-6oz), Nitro (medium heavy), Purglas, and Older Fenwick SurfStik customs.  The CTS and Cosmotech are the best casters for me with the Ballistics not far behind.  The CTS running guides are Titanium Low Riders in sizes 6, 8, and 10 depending on the rod ratings.  The size 6 handle the wind-on serves of 60lb fluorocarbon leaders.

I have a Fenwick Elite Tech 14' rated 1-6oz that I stripped and rewrapped, elongated the rear grip, changed and relocated guides, to be used as a spinner. I've purchased an Ultegra CI4 5500 to pair with this rod but haven't used it yet.  In test casting with the Power Aeros, 60lb hollow, and 4-5oz lead I was getting over 120 yards casting lead only casting at the football field.  I think I'll get better distance with 40lb, 4oz, and the Ultegra.  The rod is a little too slow tapered for my liking but it gets distance.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: