Beastmaster problem.

Started by publius, March 26, 2021, 11:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

publius

20/30 Beastmaster. Will only reel when in freespool with the preset backed almost all the way out. Haven't torn it down yet but is this because of the dreaded melted brake disk?

publius

Any ideas guys? I've never used a Beastmaster and it has been many years since I dealt with lever drags. Am I maybe just not understanding how it works?

alantani

Gotta be the right main side plate bearing.  It's always the first to fail.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

publius

Sorry guys, I'm about clear as mud. With the drag preset backed way off I can reel up until I push the lever to strike then it is locked up. Tightening down on the preset even slightly causes this to happen sooner in the drag curve. ??

akfish

Odds are the right side plate bearing -- aka the pinion bearing -- is bad. As Alan said, it's always the first to go. I'd also look at the bearing on the left side of the spool and see whether the belleville washers are corroded together.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

publius

Thanks guys. I'll be going in as soon as I get these 7 other reels put back together.

publius

Cracked it open just to take a look. I'm sure it's never been serviced and it is nasty. Absolutely no corrosion because there is so much dirty grease and that damn melted brake disc. Bearing definitely bad. Concerning the dreaded melted drag disc. Is Greg Pamaran (I think) still the only source for this part?

Drisse

I bought a new silicone washer on ebay from an Australian seller to my Beastmaster 50. Still haven't replaced it yet.

Makule

Instead of replacing the stock silicone cushion/washer with another silicone, I just cut a butyl rubber disk.  It provides enough cushion so the drag can be gradually increased and doesn't melt down like the silicone.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.