Rubber Caps For Boat Electronics

Started by Gfish, March 28, 2021, 10:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

I have various caps to protect my fish finder plug-ins, battery/motor connectors, etc. some are all rubber, some are plastic screw-on with a rubber gasket in in the bottom. Eventually the rubber fails and won't stay put.

What's the cause? I'm thinkin; sun? saltwater? Or, the the penetrating oil I use to displace water, protect, and get ridda corrosion!?!

I'm tryin pretty hard out there to keep saltwater off all those little gold male/female connectors, but you know how it is..., plus a kayak's a plain ol' wet way to fish. Then sometimes I start rinsing with freshwater and see too late: "aw maaannnn, the cap popped off"!

Anyone ever corrode something so bad, it wouldn't  conduct any more?

Been using CorrosionX and Inox, along with compressed air, tape and wire. Since WD-40 gums-up with saltwater, I don't use it. Tape and wire is used to tighten the rubber cover caps, but it's a very temporary thing.

Methods, tricks, materials or products?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Quote from: Gfish on March 28, 2021, 10:13:47 PM
Eventually the rubber fails and won't stay put.

What's the cause? I'm thinkin; sun? saltwater? Or, the the penetrating oil I use to displace water, protect, and get ridda corrosion!?!

I think that is caused by Hawaii.  There's something about rubber in Hawaii.  Rubber bands don't last six months.  My kids cub scout master once said it's common knowledge and happens to everyone.  He was faced with overseeing rubber band-powered model planes and cars for the kids.  My theory (and it is only because I was desperate for a theory) is that it's being eaten by a fungus that does well in the climate.

There is stuff at City Milled called Super Strap.  It's 1.5 inch wide strapping made of something stretchy like rubber.  It's for banding but can be cut to make all sorts of little waterproofing do-dads.

Tiddlerbasher

Silicone should be fine Greg - it's pretty impervious to most things.