Horse traded for this DAM Quick 270

Started by jgp12000, March 29, 2021, 09:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I traded my cousin a combo for this super he found at a yard sale in Destin. I took it apart and cleaned the body and covers with dawn dish soap. The cover screws were a little mucked up and the worm wheel was missing a washer. I lubed it with reel butter and corrosion x and man it is slick! The only paint missing is where they typically sit I suppose. It rained a lot while we were in Destin so I haven't got to fish with it yet, but it is a beast. I wasn't sure looking at schematic, I have the lube port on top is that correct?

Wompus Cat

Don't know what Combo you Traded but don't see nuttin wrong with what you Got there .
Very Nice Looking Reel for sure .
As for the position the oilier . To me you have it Just Right as you can get to the oil orifice with ease and the A/R Lever is easy to get to also .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Yes, James —

That is the way I set them up also.  Like Henry indicated — lube port easy to access, on top, and the shift-lever is also easily reached when needed.

I will add some new screws to your order.

Good work!

Although prices are going up a bit — these are still a tremendously solid value.

Hard (impossible, IMO) to find this combination of over-engineered strength, simple & solid function, and dependability — in any price range — let alone how cheaply these reels can be acquired for.

Yes, they don't have 13 bearings, or infinitesimal tiny parts that add questionable marketing features, and they are considered old-school & ugly by many folks...

But they get the job done with a minimum investment, some decent restoration skills, and regular servicing because most are used in HD salt conditions.

To me, this No-Drama Llama is a beautiful example of capable and solid function.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

I think it could haul in Jaws....

basto

I have one in almost mint condition and can't bear to use it as it is in my opinion astheticly beautiful inside and out.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

bhale1