DAM Quick Finessa and 330/331 Misc Thread Sizes

Started by Leonard, March 31, 2021, 02:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonard

Just joined the board and have learned a lot already.   Thought I would add some info I have not seen anywhere that might be helpful to some.

If you ever destroy or loose one of the side panel screws the thread size is M2.5 x 0.45

If the nylon locking nut near the bail roller is gone or worn out the thread size is M3 x 0.5

Both of these are available in A4 stainless steel at Graingers.  You have to buy package of 50 nuts for under $2/package and 100 screws for under $5/package.  If your worried about stainless seizing in the aluminum frame, think about how you damaged the soft head of the original chrome plated brass screw.  The stainless screws will take a much greater screw driver load than the original.  It would be a very good idea to oil or grease the screws before installation.  You should be taking the screws out every year at least anyway for reel maintenance.   They are not original German screws made by guys in Lederhosen, but better screws IMHO.

Thanks to all the great posts and providing a great resource.

Leonard

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

BocaSnook1

Welcome aboard!   And thanks - I was wondering what those thread sizes are for th 330/331.  If anyone has the same information for the 110 - 220 - 440 and 550 I sure would appreciate it.

Tad

BCT7

Thank you very much. I just bought a Finessa with missing nut near the bail roller. I am planning to go to Home Depot or Lowes and start trying out a bunch of nuts to find one that fits.

Knowing the size that I will need is a big help here!

Chris

oldmanjoe

Quote from: BCT7 on March 31, 2021, 06:57:45 PM
Thank you very much. I just bought a Finessa with missing nut near the bail roller. I am planning to go to Home Depot or Lowes and start trying out a bunch of nuts to find one that fits.

Chris
You may not find it at those two stores , but if you have a Ace hardware they have a better selection of small screws and nuts  .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 31, 2021, 07:21:27 PM
Quote from: BCT7 on March 31, 2021, 06:57:45 PM

Chris
You may not find it at those two stores , but if you have a Ace hardware they have a better selection of small screws and nuts  .

Totally agree! Forget Lowes, Home Depot & Menards, etc., they only stock the basics, which seldom work on any reel.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

BCT7

Thanks @Midway Tommy @oldmanjoe for the tip. I won't spent too much time at Home Depot but will still check it out. I have to go there tomorrow to pick up some things.

I may end up have to go to Ace Hardware anyway, but it is a bit further away from my house. I need to find a replacement screw for my new (old) Daiwa 8700.

sandbar

foakes

Leonard —

If you would post some photos of the screws you are getting, I would appreciate that.

McMaster-Carr & Graingers are very good sources.

And, most of the time, only an original screw will look right — although others may work as well.

If anyone gets stuck on a DQ screw — I can probably help out.

One often over-looked thing about removing screws from 50 or 60 year old reels that most folks don't know — was taught to me by some of the old timers —

Namely — use the right screwdriver.  Hollow ground, plenty of grip in the handle, solid downward pressure.  

Then, BEFORE trying to loosen the screw — try to tighten it first.  Just to break the hold — then with good, solid downward pressure — extract the screw.

It is important to have the right tools — and just as important is how to use them properly — even something as seemingly simple as a screwdriver.

This hollow ground screwdriver in size .019 — fits a Finessa case screw perfectly — and will not cause slippage damage.

Most of you guys probably already know all of this stuff — but a reminder for folks who may not know — is always helpful.

A little grease on the threads will help down the road — either for yourself, or someone else.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

BCT7

Fred, since you are talking about screwdriver, would you mind sharing what do you use for large screw like this? I have several different screwdrivers but nothing for this size.

Midway Tommy

I made one using a heavy wide bladed screw driver. I filed the end convex and flat on both faces rather than tapered. Most bail screws like that were designed to use a coin. ABU bail screws were designed to use the round part of their wrench.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Leonard

Fred,

Pictures are all taken and downsized, but it seems I need two stars to access the Gallery.  Didn't even know about stars, but have sent a message to Alan.  Will post when this is sorted out.

I'll add another trick for removing stubborn screws that I have not seen on this board.  Dip the end of you screw driver into a valve grinding grit and it will grip much much better.  This has worked for me many times when the screw head was almost "cammed" out.  You probably should rinse things off well before putting it bac together

Leonard

Leonard

Fred,

That was quick, I now have two stars!  So here's my first attempt at posting images.  The screws I've found are "cheese heads" which gives a little more metal at the edge than a round head.  The head diameter is a little smaller than the DQ screw.   I think they look good on the reel, but then I'm not a purist and also I did not know about you and your wonderful room full of little drawers and boxes at the time I needed a screw. 

foakes

Quote from: BCT7 on April 01, 2021, 02:45:09 AM
Fred, since you are talking about screwdriver, would you mind sharing what do you use for large screw like this? I have several different screwdrivers but nothing for this size.

I just use an old cheap Penn wrench that has the end ground flat inserted into a wooden file handle.

No screw head damage this way.

I think the handle might have been a buck at the hardware store — and of course the Penn wrenches are readily available.  They come with reels, and also are found inside tackle boxes.  I probably have around 100 in peanut butter jars.

Made this tool over 25 years ago.  It might last another 25.

Simple, effective, controllable.

Just disassembled and cleaned in the ultrasonic bath a little DQ 110 before going to bed.  Used the tool for both bail bearing screws

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

BCT7

Thank you Fred for sharing. That is a great idea. I am sure I can find something in my garage that I can modify like what you did with Penn wrench.