my modified tony pena

Started by alantani, April 07, 2021, 06:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Thanks Alan, great info, as we have come to expect from you, your always helping us, stay safe, keep well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Sharkb8

Great video looks like a easy knot to tie I will have to try it

Kim

foakes

Thanks, Alan —

Very useful knot — presented in an easy to understand video.

Very professional teaching technique.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

the rockfish ninja

Great vid!!
Have you ever tried taking a lighter to the mono end to melt and smooth it out for going thru the guides on the retrieve? I do it on my PR knots and it works pretty well for me.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

nelz

alantani

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on April 08, 2021, 02:26:38 AM
Great vid!!
Have you ever tried taking a lighter to the mono end to melt and smooth it out for going thru the guides on the retrieve? I do it on my PR knots and it works pretty well for me.

in general, i don't use glues or fire.  it's just the cynic in me.   :-\

thorhammer

Excellent, and great timing. My fluoro is on the way.

alantani

i'm less concern about which particular knot you use and more concerned that you tie it perfectly every time.  properly tied, none of the currently popular knots should break under normal fishing conditions.  just pick one, practice it and make sure you can tie it under adverse conditions. 

thorhammer

Going to try this on leadcore set-ups. Currently using double uni to mono leader, but it hangs in the levelwinds of 309's so I went to 330gti's. 309 is a little bit smaller profile and plenty of drag for the purpose, so I'd like to use them.

alantani

Quote from: thorhammer on April 08, 2021, 04:24:44 PM
Going to try this on leadcore set-ups. Currently using double uni to mono leader, but it hangs in the levelwinds of 309's so I went to 330gti's. 309 is a little bit smaller profile and plenty of drag for the purpose, so I'd like to use them.

you probably won't notice that much difference.  it still has some bulk to it.  the best thing is to lower the rod on the return, get the knot through the guides, then raise the rod back up and continue the fight. 

jurelometer

Quote from: alantani on April 08, 2021, 03:28:08 PM
i'm less concern about which particular knot you use and more concerned that you tie it perfectly every time.  properly tied, none of the currently popular knots should break under normal fishing conditions.  just pick one, practice it and make sure you can tie it under adverse conditions. 

THIS^^^^^

I would add that some knots like the Tony Pena lock into place pretty well, so you know what you are working with after a bench test.  The braid to mono knots that don't bend the mono at all (like the FG) can test well when first tied but might loosen over time with real world use.  Not saying that knots like the FG cannot be tied effectively, just that it takes some extra monitoring during  the learning phase to ensure that you are doing good ties.

If you have to melt a knob on your mono tag, you run the risk of damaging the braid, or not having a lighter handy when you need to tie.  The popular glues do not adhere well to braid, and break down fairly quickly when exposed to moisture, and therefore are not ideal candidates for knots that are not replaced frequently.   And what happens when you need to tie a knot and don't have your glue handy?

If you need glue or fire to make a knot hold, you might want to consider a different knot, or tying the same knot differently. Less is more.

Quote from: alantani on April 08, 2021, 06:33:10 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on April 08, 2021, 04:24:44 PM

you probably won't notice that much difference.  it still has some bulk to it.  the best thing is to lower the rod on the return, get the knot through the guides, then raise the rod back up and continue the fight. 

When I used the Pena, I tried a single overhand on the mono (didn't hold for me), and a double turn uni (not very reliable).  Three and four turns was too fat for the rods/reels/leader diameter that I was casting.   At least for me, trying to slim down the Pena did not work for braid to mono.

Not sure how lead core is tied to anything.  Do you strip out the core?  Although Alan has seen folks damaging levelwind inserts with  Albrights, I still use the Alberto  (a modified Albright) hucking two ounce iron on 60 lb mono leader for awhile now without issue, but keep my leader short enough that it does not reach the levelwind. I also trim the mono tag extremely tight, and  at a bit of an angle. It casts cleanly through the guides and winds in without hanging.

And no ceramic inserts to damage in a 309 anyways.  Old tech wins again!

-J

alantani

Quote from: jurelometer on April 08, 2021, 10:00:05 PM

And no ceramic inserts to damage in a 309 anyways.  Old tech wins again!

-J

yup!!!!   ;D

thorhammer

Typically double uni. I learned a uni off the back of a Stren box in about 1976, when I was 8. As the Boss says, tie a knot you can tie. I can tie it in the dark or eyes shut. I usually go five turns on 20lb mono to four turns on 36 lb leadcore. I haven't been pulling out the lead but that's a good idea- it won't compromise the strength or at least not so I'd notice.

alantani

absolutely nothing wrong with a double uni.  just make sure that the mono/fluoro knot "slides" a little and that the braid knot has even wraps and no "over wraps!" 

it's better to tie an 80% knot 100% of the time than a 100% knot 99% if the time!