Cumberland Lake Stripers 2021

Started by mo65, April 07, 2021, 12:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Just got back from Cumberland, the water was high and murky, but the bite was still decent. It was uncommonly cold too...the mornings were brutal. We limited out the first day, but lost four fish the second day, ending up with three in the box. The trolling motor took a crap once, it just glitched and was unresponsive. My brother did a quick YouTube search, found a hot tip for resetting the system, and it worked! Never underestimate YT for "on the water" troubleshooting.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

wfjord

Gfish

Nice Strippers!
Cumberland lake's lookin nice and fertile. I can see where it might be real cold out on that lake, especially if the winds a-blowin through that valley.
What worked on 'em?
And how did you reset the motor?
I've had mine stop pretty far out(for me) off shore. Stressfull. I carry a page of error code instructions that work about 1/2 the time.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

El Pescador

MO!!  Come on Man!!!! :o

Love the Money Shot photos of your great looking fish, and I have to say, FRESH Stripers on the grill, nothing better,

but what reels did you use??

The Tanked Surfmaster 100??

Your narrow'd Jiggy??

Let us know. 

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Hardy Boy

Nice fish !! I gotta get those off of my bucket list one of these days.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

mo65

Quote from: El Pescador on April 07, 2021, 04:04:23 PM
What reels did you use??

The Captain of this trip only fishes his stuff...but in a few weeks we'll be launching the pontoon on the Ohio River...then I'll be using all my stuff. First in line are the Surfy 100, green XN Jiggy, and that Abu BG 9000. 8)

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on April 07, 2021, 03:29:16 PM
What worked on 'em?
And how did you reset the motor?

We used 4 to 5 inch live shad trolled at depths of 20 to 40 feet. The video to troubleshoot the motor was model specific, but there are probably videos to cover about any model. It was very simple though...all we did was toggle the power to the motor...then simply hit the power on button three times fast(within 2 seconds). Here's a link to the vid.

mo65

We were a bit early for the Smallies this year...water temps were a bit lower than normal...stalling the spawn. We did pick up a few though. 8)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on April 07, 2021, 08:35:50 PM
Quote from: El Pescador on April 07, 2021, 04:04:23 PM
What reels did you use??

The Captain of this trip only fishes his stuff...but in a few weeks we'll be launching the pontoon on the Ohio River...then I'll be using all my stuff. First in line are the Surfy 100, green XN Jiggy, and that Abu BG 9000. 8)

You're a good man & have a lot of patience, Mike! If I couldn't fish with my own equipment/tackle I wouldn't be on the boat. I don't think I could participate with someone that made me use his stuff.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

im not an animalist or conservationist by any means but always following the rules of the fish limits or less, with that said, Mo, do you keep those smallies and stripers or CPR?

how do you prepare them for a meal?

Im not much of eating Freshwater fish and had tried many but I few years ago I tried a "butterflied" fried whole striper and liked the flavor of the white meat.
The Baja Guy

Gfish

Smallmouth Bass are pretty darn good tastin fw fish.
Yep. We are gettin surprisingly cold weather this Winter/Spring(61F this AM!😮) with lotsa rain and wind. The tourists are commin back in larger numbers now, though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on April 08, 2021, 07:30:11 PM

Smallmouth Bass are pretty darn good tastin fw fish.

That's an interesting take, Greg.  :) While I have eaten a few in the long lost past, I've always thought, SM, LM & Rock Bass had a hint of dirt to their taste. Catch & release of those three, is for sure, by me!  ;) I'm not a big fan of White Bass, either. I do love Bluegill & Sunfish, though.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 08, 2021, 08:23:00 PM
......... I've always thought, SM, LM & Rock Bass had a hint of dirt to their taste..

maybe because the water or canal but SM, LM and catfish taste (for me) as mud, yep, the dirt flavor you describe, thats why I was asking how do you guys prepare them for a delicious meal.

not that I will go after those, heck I havent fished on FW on the last 7 years or so and dont have plans to doit on the short future, mainly because there is no natural rivers or city water canals or any freshwater lagoon on the 200 miles or more around town.
The Baja Guy

Gfish

I think Alex is right; farm-pond LMB, no thanks. Smallies out of a mountain reservoir, oh yeah! Depends on the water quality and their main food source. Don't know though, fishing a farm-pond as a kid, the bass tasted like mud---they ate mainly small bluegill, guppies, frogs and an occasional water-dog(salamander). SMB, eating everything, but mainly crawdads and shad in a mountain reservoir, were great eating, even right before the spawn.